Notices

Weight Training for Girly Girls

Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Wink Weight Training for Girly Girls

I'm looking for suggestions on how to incorporate more weight training into my routine. So far mine has been limited to weight-bearing exercises in the DVDs I do (like push-ups, plank exercises, and lunges with hand weights) and using resistance bands with pilates.

I have my cardio routine down pat but would like to increase the weight work.

What can I do that does not entail me joining a gym or buying a ton of equipment?

So many of you seem to have this well in hand. Bring it on, answerwomen!

Thanks in advance,
Cassie
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default *grin*

A girly girl will want lifting gloves to avoid callouses, like these: Raw Power Women's Charger Fitness Gloves - Weight Lifting Gloves - Men's and Women's Gloves from Schiek, Altus, Harbinger, etc.

When I got started at home, I already knew some free weight exercises that would work with dumbbells. Miriam Nelson's Strong Women Stay Young or her Strong Women Stay Slim have good advice for getting started without a lot of equipment and she illustrates a whole-body approach that anyone can do at home.

You only need a couple of pair of dumbbells to start out with: but I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 5 lb weights - you'll grow in strength quickly and won't use weights that light for more than a week or so. Don't buy heavier weights until you'll use them. I create Excel spreadsheet logs to keep track of weight, reps and sets. (I've attached one here in case anyone would like to swipe it and doctor it for their own use.)

If I were doing it again now, I might buy adjustable dumbbells that take olympic plate weights, like this: York 30 lb Cast Iron Adjustable Spinlock Dumbbell Set - Dumbbells
As it is, I own 10, 15 and 20 lb weights. They really don't take up much space. I keep them stashed under a chair. It will be a while before I'm ready for 25-lb weights - but even then - I can put off that purchase by simply adding another set to my routine or change up the exercise for that particular body part. There's a lot of flexibility in how you progress and what defines the next level for you.

The most gains in strength are made in the first few months. After that, it slows down.

Hope this helps, Cassie!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default ooops...

Forgot to attach... looks like excel files aren't supported.

Let me try to convert to a word doc with a table, instead...

Nope. The file's too large. Never mind.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Kimmy...I snagged one of the books from the library yesterday and will go to another library today for the other one. I can learn the exercises and do up a spreadsheet myself; I appreciate all the answers and suggestions!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Some other ideas

After thinking about this - there are lots of exercises that use only your body weight (think basic training types of workouts) - that you can do at home without equipment.

Maybe these would be good to incorporate, too:
Body Weight Workout Routine - Use Body Weight Workout Routine for Budget Fitness

Practicing yoga is another way to build strength at home without a lot of equipment. You really only need a good mat. One great source is:
Wholesale Yoga Mats in Bulk $8.49
There are lots of resources online that illustrate poses and give instruction.

I'm glad you picked up one of the books. Both have a lot of really good, clinically sound information. I think you'll like them.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

I got great results using hand weights I have a set of 3, 5 lbs, 7lbs, & 10lbs or something like that. All I wanted was to be more defined so lighter weights more reps worked great for me!! I now have sexy cut shoulders, but not bulky. Most importantly for me no gym fees....!! You can do it!! There are loads of exercises you can do with free weights, yoga also is awesome, google strength exercising using your own body weight I'm sure you'll be amazed!!.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default You can go REALLY girly...

...while avoiding callouses...

Femme Fitale Fitness - Women's Fitness Gloves

Extremely cute lifting gloves...looks like they'll be available within the next couple of weeks!