Notices

Those last stubborn pounds???

Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Question Those last stubborn pounds???

Hello everyone... I am new to fitday and I think this website could be helpful. I do not have a large amount of weight to lose, but I am finding that the last fifteen pounds I need to lose just will not come off. I am wondering if anyone out there has tips on losing and keeping off that final weight, as I am finding it impossible and am very discouraged.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there Judith! Welcome to the community.

What does your physical activity look like?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default thanks!

Hi Ms. Chicken!

I have been working out everyday with some women in my town for about an hour per day, but just for the past week... I am a full time student and this last semester I haven't worked out at all because I have been so busy.

perhaps the reason these pounds won't come off is because I don't exercise enough?

I like your list- its sound advice. What do you do to relax/decompress?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:43 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Judith, what's your height, weight and age? Maybe you don't need to lose more weight. By the way, it will take more than a week of working out to get results, but I'm sure you already know that. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

hey judith,

Im also a full time student trying to lose weight. I've found that in addition to having trouble finding the time to work out, school can also have pretty negative effects on your eating schedule. I'd recommend trying to set some rules for yourself. I try not to eat while studying or doing something else because I don't notice my portions if I'm focused elsewhere. I've also been trying not to eat anything after I finish dinner. Students tend to have night0owl schedules, but you can also end up adding a lot of unwanted calories with late night snacks.

good luck!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

welcome Judith! What does your diet look like? Oh... I think Nik likes to be called Mr. Chicken. j/k
Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Noelminneci- Hello ! I am 34, weigh 146 pounds and am 5'8...I am an actress so although my weight is in the healthy range, I need to lose a bit more.

Kittensniffles- those were some great ideas-I relate to the eating while studying and late at night- its terrible! I'm trying to get some healthy habits going over the break in time for next semester- Thanks for your feedback- good luck to you too!!!

Mr Chicken, so sorry! I don't know why I thought you were female .

Thank you sisterjen, I will try to find that discussion page... good luck with your weight loss... you can do it!

01gt...I eat pretty healthy- I don't eat much dessert but I do eat a lot of peanut butter- its my weakness!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Judith, looks like Mike beat me to the Mr Chicken correction, but I won't cluck at you for it! (lol, that was lame).

I was a full-time student as well just up until a few weeks ago, so I know the grind. The most important thing is discipline. I was determined to go to the gym 4 times per week and I blocked out the days and times I planned to go so that I could plan the rest of my study blocks / appointments around those times. I also found that for me, a cup of plain black coffee could stave off hunger and last me a long time so that if I kept one with me while studying, I wouldn't feel the need to munch mindlessly on something that would just end up accumulating on my body.

Exercise and diet are both components of losing fat. In my experience diet accounts for 70-80% of that loss, and exercise the difference. If you've got a stubborn final 15 then simply more exercise might be the key to putting it away for good.

With regard to relaxation, I shoot for at minimum 7 hours of sleep a night. It can be tough as a student, but again, it comes down to discipline. I used to always want my Internet time at the end of the day so I would finish studying at 11PM, then be online until 2AM regularly, until I realized that the Internet isn't going anywhere and there's too much of it for me to ever cover in my lifetime, so I might as well sleep more.

If I find myself sitting for extended periods of time, I'll get up and walk around a bit, then do some lunge stretches for my hips and back, which can really loosen you up and wake up your brain too. For at least an hour a day, I try to do something not school/work related, like reading for pleasure or working on a hobby. It really helps to relieve stress put on you by school and work and just gives you space to breathe a little and live in the moment, which is something I believe is important for optimal health.