View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
klj12
FitDay Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2losen2010 View Post
HI Klj12;
I Would love to have your recipe for lentils; never tried split pea soup but high protein low fat is worth a try.
Thanks
For my "Lentil Soup" or Split pea soup (same basic recipe) I use a one pound bag of lentils or split green peas.

1lb lentils/peas
1 medium onion
4-5 slices bacon
10-12 baby carrots
mushrooms
fresh garlic
basil
oregano
mustard seed
honey
red pepper flakes

I dice up a medium onion and start sauteing it in a large pot with a little olive oil on medium high, add basil and oregano. I slice about 4-5 slices of bacon into about 1/2 inch pieces and add it to the cooking onion. Then I thinly slice either one large carrot or 10-12 baby carrots and add it to the mix. I dice 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (whatever you prefer) and add. Once bacon and onion look almost done I add slices of mushrooms (again how much ever you prefer). Once these look tender you can add your lentils/peas (be sure to rinse them first) to the pot and add 6 cups of water at first. Now, add some mustard seed if you have them (not super important). Bring this to a strong boil and add more of whatever seasonings you want to taste- I use red pepper flakes because we like things a little spicy. I add a large "squirt" of honey at this point and put the lid on the pot but leave it a little tilted and turn down to medium heat just as long as it is still boiling. Stir occasionally. I usually add more seasoning (esp salt and pepper) and honey throughout cooking to taste- again this is up to you and your preference. As this thickens up you will add more water to make it the consistency you want- I usually end up putting 7-8 total cups of water (the more water you add the more of a soup it will be, the less water the more of a thick stew like consistency). As it gets thick be sure to stir well because it can stick on the bottom. This whole process usually takes about 1 hour or a little more.

My fiance likes to put chow chow on his lentils, but I just like to use salt and pepper.

If anyone tries this let me know how you like it- I have never shared this with anyone and I came up with it myself so I would love some feedback from others on how you like it!!

**Caution- lentils are very high in FIBER so be prepared for things to "move" the next day, but not in a bad way or anything!
klj12 is offline   Reply With Quote