View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Hi there Alex! My only dieting tip for you is to eat as whole and natural as possible. In my experience raw isn't necessary, since cooking some foods increases the bioavailability of certain vitamins, but whole fresh carrots always beat preserved carrot sticks, not only in terms of quantity of vitamins and phytochemicals but also in terms of flavor. I eat a lot of chicken and fish regularly, free range and wild caught, respectively, and grass-fed beef or bison where I can find and afford it. And nuts. Lots of nuts. All in all, I attribute my fitness to the fact that 90% of my diet comes from whole foods, not plastic packages. I'm not saying it's a cure-all, but it's a simple strategy without fancy rules and it could help you too.

With regards to gyms, I highly recommend switching to a 24-hour fitness or Gold's gym because I hear you're not allowed to deadlift (or grunt while lifting) in Planet Fitnesses. IMO this atmosphere is highly detrimental to having a successful strength training experience if you're always under pressure to purposefully under-perform just so you won't get kicked out. Or, you could just not join a gym and go full bodyweight exercises without leaving your warm home. You can get a pretty killer workout incorporating only bodyweight movements.

Good luck on your journey!

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote