Notices

Are you hearing us? Diets Shmiets!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default Are you hearing us? Diets Shmiets!

I understand the need for a quick fix, a 'diet', but please, check out the REAL success stories on here! Wake up! The only way to achieve sustained weight loss is to commit to a new approach to you.

It might take time, commitment and a little bit of dedication, but, in the long term, it means understanding your body. Diets don't work, I know that! I tried every one out there.

I am going to bow out for a while. I feel that now I have reached my goal I am superflous. People say 'oh, tell us how you did it' and then i read daft threads about how you are all gonna sew your mouths shut, sip pregnant women's pee. or based on your starsign just eat one food element.

Get your ass in gear. I have been too polite about this for such a long time, but, really?

I am still grateful to a lot of people here. Sick of listening to this 'diet' crap though and it's driving me mental.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 12-16-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: obscene language
Old 12-16-2010, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Every living person is on a "diet"... a diet is what you put into your body. I think what you are trying to impress is about lifestyle & attitude. Good for you on your success, glad it works for you.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gallusgal
I understand the need for a quick fix, a 'diet', but please, check out the REAL success stories on here! Wake up! The only way to achieve sustained weight loss is to commit to a new approach to you.

It might take time, commitment and a little bit of dedication, but, in the long term, it means understanding your body. Diets don't work, I know that! I tried every one out there.

I am going to bow out for a while. I feel that now I have reached my goal I am superflous. People say 'oh, tell us how you did it' and then i read daft threads about how you are all gonna sew your mouths shut, sip pregnant women's pee. or based on your starsign just eat one food element.

Get your ass in gear. I have been too polite about this for such a long time, but, really?

I am still grateful to a lot of people here. Sick of listening to this 'diet' crap though and it's driving me mental.
Some of us that asked for you advice truly wanted it and appreciate it. I am not on a special diet. I am working toward eating healthy. I am still trying to find what works for me. What keeps me satisfied and still loose weight. I don't read alot of post on the diet forum for the particular reasons you speak of but I am not going to let others bother me. I am here to soak up all of this great knowledge!! I dont think you should leave us!!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 12-16-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: edited quote for obscene language
Old 12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

gallusgal,

IMO too many people get caught up on the word "diet". I agree with Lisa Annie on this. I also applaud you on your success, gallusgal, but if I had to guess you did it by burning more than you consumed. This is known as a calorie restricted diet. No matter how you want to dress it up, it's still a diet. If I start bulking and eating at a surplus, guess what??? That's my diet.

I have people ask me all the time to tell them how I did it, but I don't get offended or bent out of shape if they don't do it my way. Why does it bother you so much if someone wants to try something other than what you did?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 12-16-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, people do need to get their asses in gear but I'm curious about....

Originally Posted by gallusgal
Diets don't work, I know that! I tried every one out there.

i read daft threads about how you are all gonna sew your mouths shut, sip pregnant women's pee. or based on your starsign just eat one food element.
I take it that since you've tried EVERY DIET, then you've tried pregnant women's pee... and it didn't work?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 12-16-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I should probably stay out of this, but, the bottom line is that the ONLY way to lose weight, other than cutting off stuff, is to burn more calories than you take in. Period. End of story.

Perhaps the ingestion/injection/insertion of various substances while maintaining a calorie defecit helps speed the process, perhaps not. As long as it's not harmful (one of my co-workers was part of the Phen-Fen settlement) and helps you lose weight, go for it!

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 AM
FitDay Member

The basic equation never changes. [calories in] + [calories out] = loss/gain/maintain

The calories "in" part of the equation is the easiest thing to track and control.

The calories out part isn't quite as clear cut because there are factors that may make you burn more or less: gender, muscle mass, age, vocation, activitiy level, activity types, illness/disease, hormones, sleep quality, etc....

Losing excess fat & getting or staying fit are personal, personalized journeys, both outward and inward.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

I think what gallusgal might be criticizing is the pre-packaged diet plans that are marketed to people that want a quick fix. It’s not that the plan itself is wrong or lacking (although there are many cases where this could be debated), it’s the approach that people take with it -- they want to be able to buy a book/get food items delivered/go to a meeting and have it all taken care of for them. Alternately, they want to severely restrict carbs/calories/saturated fat (or some other essential, unavoidable part of a "normal" diet) and experience success automatically.

I interpreted her post as a callout for sanity -- let's reel this in, get back to basics and figure out what diets are the most well-rounded, sustainable, nutrient rich and realistic for the most people. Let's spend our time and energy buying, preparing, eating and savoring healthy beautiful food that doesn't leave us feeling stressed, guilty, or deprived. If we feel the need to control our weight, let's do our research, enjoy the process, and be realistic about our expectations in relation the effort we're putting in.

In the end, I can't help but view this through an anthropological lens -- we're the only species that understands our own health and nutrition in both an experiential ("Yum!") and scientific ("Yum, sucrose!") way. Let's use our big brains and figure out how we got to the top of the food chain -- I guarantee it wasn't through Atkins, low-fat, HCG, or any other diet plan marketed toward those wanting to take better care of themselves. Let's build up good basic habits (like eating clean, nutritious, real food) before we start adding hormones, subtracting macronutrients or eliminating entire food groups. If we can't eat well in the most basic sense, we'll all be lost once the "diet" comes up against a road block or eventually ends. Commit to eating well and understanding how food plays a role in your life (not just on the scale, but in the field and on the table too). This commitment and understanding is essential to weight control, health, sustainability and (I think) happiness. As humans, it is our responsibility and privilege to have this type of control over what we put in our bodies.

That's just my two cents. But, then again, I'm kind of a hippie.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

Gallusgal I feel your pain. I understand what Mike and others are saying but I think I get what you're talking about. I have been on every diet known to womankind (low fat, low carb, South Beach, WW, cabbage, and one which had me consuming so many bananas I swear I actually got banana poisoning) and I'm here to tell ya I'm sick of it. And I know it starts to get into semantic arguments about the definition of the word but the truth is some of us are tired of all the eating plans, all the gimmicks (see the "Invent your own diet" posts to know I'm not the only one.) And yes I know some are fads and some are real and some work for Ms A but not Mr. B but how do you separate the two and... PLEASE ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!

And I think a lot of us know what it's like to be desperate and to think of turning to anything to change our lives. But there are some ways that, even if they work, I personally find scary. I know HCG works for people but it just seems a little too extreme for me. That's me, y'all. You want to ingest or shoot or snort baby mama pee be my guest. Please. I'm all about choice.

At the end of the day, it comes down to calories in calorie out, to not indulging every hunger, to being mindful and to getting up and moving your butt in whatever meaningful way you can. Call it what you will folks!! Call it a diet! Call it Fred for all I care! That's the great secret!!! No need to climb the Himalayas looking for the ashtanga guru of fitness or seeking Yoda to ask how he got his tiny body and his big ol' ears or others who have succeeded where you have failed (tho I still do it all except maybe Yoda). And hey inspiration is cool (loved the running man Mike showed) but when all is said and done, you've got to find it in yourself.

Gallusgal, we need your voice of reason and sanity but I respect your decision to leave if all this makes you feel crazy. BTW there are a few others of shall I call it the "anti-diet" persuasion who feel like we do (check out the posts in the "Leaving Weight Watchers" thread, especially Noel's.)

Diet shmiet as you say. I still say there's this Oz I aspire to of eating without guilt, obssesion, tracking to the minute molecule and endless self scrutiny. If I am 90 and still counting carbs please just shoot me.

All best from a comrade in arms who just inhaled a whole bunch of chicken wings (and some other foodstuff lying around the kitchen) and will simply go to the gym tomorrow and try just that much harder.

Love Canary (AKA Hope, ironically my real name) BTW Amen, Sailordoom. Hippies, young and aging unite!!!

Last edited by canary52; 12-17-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Sailor & Hope,

I get what y'all are saying, I do. I think it was the delivery of the original message that really got my attention. It really sounded hostile, as if someone had rubbed her VERY wrong. I just thought that what others were doing, she was taking it way too personal.

I know we all get bent out of shape and different things bother different people. It's fine to vent (although I did have to edit her post, the message was still there). I just think that life is too damn short to get upset over how someone else chooses to lose weight.

The "invent your own diet" was started as a joke, to make light of a situation. It doesn't always have to be serious. We should be able to have fun while doing this.

Also, if person X wants to drink pee, by the gallon... I won't lose sleep over it, b/c I know I should focus on me and what I'm doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.