Notices

Descriptions of Lifestyle Activity Level?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Descriptions of Lifestyle Activity Level?

I could use a brief description of the Lifestyle Activity Level. It's hard to tell which is more accurate for me from the general labels. Does this description exist somewhere? I tried searching the forum but didn't see anything relevant.

Specifically what is the difference between seated all day and seated with some movement?

Does that only count the time that you are at work, or at home too? I would think if you are seated at home too you fall into the sedentary bracket.

And how much movement bumps you into the middle group? 6-8 water, pee, and lunch breaks or more? What about a few hours of playing with the kids when you get home?

A brief narrative of each type of lifestyle would be useful to help choose.

In the mean time I'm being conservative but I'd prefer to be accurate.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jeffbearer
Specifically what is the difference between seated all day and seated with some movement?

Does that only count the time that you are at work, or at home too? I would think if you are seated at home too you fall into the sedentary bracket.
I know what you mean, that makes me wonder, too.

If you really want to figure it out, I think you could do a 24 hour day of writing all activity down and enter it that way, and see what the number of calories it comes up with vs. the number of calories it comes up with for the Sedentary, Sedentary with some movement, etc. That would give you a customized number.

I've only entered some basic things I do. For example, I do 30 minutes of a Leslie Sansone walking program, and I figured for me that was about 9 calories a minute. Then if I go shopping and walk around a grocery store for an hour, I put that in. And if I'm on the tractor for three hours, I enter that. Etc. It all adds up over the baseline.

Actually, thanks for making me think of this. I'm going to do it myself and see what number I get.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 AM
FitDay Member

I just wrote about this very thing in my journal kind of. I was tryingto input my 24 analysis and man who has time to count every minute with 2 kids and doing 3 things at once. I estimated out my 24 hours and am going to compare them. My other issue is my activity level will be drastically different next week as I am on vacation right now. So do I just keep switching it back and forth once I figure out where I fit into the generic lifestyles?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy I agree

I agree that the activity level is confusing. I doubted that sitting at my desk all day burns as many calories as the system was calculating, so I marked myself as "sedentary" and it still shows me burning more calories than I really think I do.

I haven't been exercising until this past week and I started a new program. However, even before now I rarely ate over 1500-1800 each day...and if I had been burning as many calories as they say I have been while sitting at my desk each day, I woudn't have gained any weight because I would've been burning more that I consumed!

Can you simply not mark a lifestyle so that you can just enter what you do each day without having to enter the entire 24-hour period? HELP!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 AM
FitDay Member

For myself if I choose the lifestyle where I move a bit it puts me down for x number of calories. If I also put that I slept then the number of calories drops by approx 400. I guess it gives a rough approximate but the more activities you put the numbers start to get more realistic.