View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

Welcome and congratulations on your success so far. Excellent advise above. Do it for yourself. Our egos and self esteem often get beat down due to our physical attributes. We look in the mirror or step on the scale and feel like a loser. We know we have failed to treat ourselves the way we deserve. Some give into the inner voices and create excuses why they can't change. Others determine that they are in control of their bodies and their lives. They set goals and their success helps to rebuild their ego and fuel their self esteem. Besides being willing to undertake activities that they wouldn't have considered when they were heavier, many people also find that they are more outspoken and outgoing when their physical image of themselves improves.

I have experienced the loss of motivation myself. After losing 45 pounds from my heaviest I was feeling good about my looks (although I still had much to improve). I plateaued for several months but I have recently focused on new reasons and motivation to continue. (I have a elk hunt scheduled with my sons next fall, I need to be lighter and in better aerobic shape to take on rugged terrain at elevations above 9,000 feet.)

Some times you can create your own motivation. Set a goal to run an upcoming 5k race or determine to enter a bodybuilding or power lifting competition, like nottango alluded to. Finding a good workout partner who will push you will also make it easier.

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote