Notices

Holiday dinner suggestions

Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Holiday dinner suggestions

Hello ~

I am cooking a Christmas dinner to take to my parents, who live 100 miles away. I don't want to do anything traditional, but instead of planning the menu based on what I want to sample while I'm cooking, I'm planning a menu based on healthy, sane, eating so I don't fall off the wagon.

Does anyone have any proven recipes for food, a little on the festive side, but nontraditional? I'm thinking quiche, soup, salad, something like that.

I'm pretty open, though, so a meat dish with sides would be welcome too. I've been reading the South Beach book and recipes and it looks like an excellent plan. Made a soup last night that was delicious and suitable for Phase I, but it's a pretty rustic soup that I wouldn't want to repeat for Christmas.

Thanks !
Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

Food.com - Thousands Of Free Recipes From Home Chefs With Recipe Ratings, Reviews And Tips

I love this site! It's a user-created recipe database, searchable by ingredients, course, difficulty/time to prepare, party food, gluten-free, low fat, you name it. You can even set the filter to eliminate recipes with specific ingredients. I could spend a whole day browsing it.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM
FitDay Member

Check out Whole Foods web site and Cooking Light's web site. Cooking Light has a lot of traditional recipes that they have remade into lighter ones. I think they both give a lot of nutritional information as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out those links and make a menu for the holiday. I can't believe I'm excited about cooking healthy things. The gourmet cook and butter queen. Ha!