Notices

Completed my first 5K!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Completed my first 5K!

I didn't stop or walk at any stage, and even though it took me about 40 minutes I am actually glowing from being able to do this!
Tried the 'Couch-to-5K' challenge a couple of months ago, and quit after a couple of weeks as I just didn't feel ready. At the time I was really angry with myself as I'd set a goal to run a 5K by Christmas, but my confidence was so low and I couldn't stop thinking 'I'm an obese woman, there's no way I can run 3.11 miles!' And before today the longest I'd managed without stopping was 10 minutes. Something just clicked, and as I was on that treadmill I could almost feel myself becoming stronger. I felt like I could've run forever!

I hope others may see my achievement and be driven to try something they never thought possible. Just because you might think that you 'can't' or shouldn't be able to do something, doesn't mean that you aren't capable if you really want it!

I'm not usually smug, but...
Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 AM
FitDay Member

You are a star well done
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
I didn't stop or walk at any stage, and even though it took me about 40 minutes I am actually glowing from being able to do this!
Tried the 'Couch-to-5K' challenge a couple of months ago, and quit after a couple of weeks as I just didn't feel ready. At the time I was really angry with myself as I'd set a goal to run a 5K by Christmas, but my confidence was so low and I couldn't stop thinking 'I'm an obese woman, there's no way I can run 3.11 miles!' And before today the longest I'd managed without stopping was 10 minutes. Something just clicked, and as I was on that treadmill I could almost feel myself becoming stronger. I felt like I could've run forever!

I hope others may see my achievement and be driven to try something they never thought possible. Just because you might think that you 'can't' or shouldn't be able to do something, doesn't mean that you aren't capable if you really want it!

I'm not usually smug, but...
What an awesome accomplishment!!!! I am so proud of you!! I also have a goal of running a 5k in 2011. I plan to start the C25K once I get below 200. I would love to be able to run my first in the spring.

I am so glad you posted this. It makes me feel like I can do it!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Felicity, that is SO exciting! I could probably walk it, if I HAD to, but my daily 20 minute mile is good for now (especially now with heavy winter boots on).

40 minutes for 5k seems really good. When's your next one?

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 AM
FitDay Member

Awesome! Enjoy the smugness. I would recommend signing up for a 5k run in the spring. They're really motivating because you see ALL types of people with all types of running styles. It's amazing to see big crowds gather for something that's actually good for them!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Congratualtions! What an accomplishment! I have the feeling this is just the beginning for you!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats, Felicity! A very much well-deserved pat on the back to you .

gmantych, your comment also struck me...you CAN do it...just start where you start and go from there.

I also agree with nottango. Signing up for an official race would be a great step a few months down the road. I just did my first one a week ago and the experience is overwhelming.

You ARE stronger, you are athletic! Enjoy basking in your glow today!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Outstanding! Congrats on your 1st 5k
It can be addicting tho....
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

Felicity, that is just incredible and very, very inspiring to me. I never thought I would be able to run again. I just started running at the end of October and I'm trying to work up to a mile. Going a 5k would be a dream. Your story has inspired me to push a little bit harder toward that goal. Thank you for sharing it. :-)
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.