Notices

10 easy steps for weight loss newbies

Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

Smile 10 easy steps for weight loss newbies

Moderator's Note: The following article is taken from a blog and referenced here 10 Easy Ways To Lose 15 Pounds | PRLog

The article appeared one week earlier than this post. The OP specifically states that "The explanations are my own. BTW". Well, unless the OP is the originator of the blog where this was taken from, that would be a lie. But the OP does not mention the blog. You decide if the OP is lying or not.

Now we have the original article cited so there won't be any confusion. It's still great advice, and that's why it's allowed to remain.

The thought of losing weight may be overwhelming. Especially if you have a goal to lose over 15 pounds. I've made a list of ten things you should do to help you lose weight. ( in no particular order)

Orient yourself with servings sizes- there's nothing quite like portion distortion. Get to know what ounces , cups, and grams look and feel like. At a restaurant you're served at least twice as much as you're supposed to eat. Do yourself a favor and share a meal with a friend/spouse. Here are a few ways to remember portion sizes : A cup is approximately the size of your fist. 3 oz (protein) is just about the size of your palm or a deck of cards. a tablespoon of butter is the size of the ditstal (from knuckle to tip) of your thumb. 2 tablespoons is the size of a ping pong ball.

Eat Breakfast- It's important to eat breakfast, you don't have to eat it first thing in the morning. Eat breakfast when you feel a little hungry. Your breakfast doesn't have to be a feast either, just give yourself enough food so that you won't empty the fridge by lunchtime

Read food labels- "low fat", "diet" , " low carb" and "zero calories" Don't mean a damn thing !!!!!! An item may claim to have less fat , but does it tell you that more sugar or salt was added to compensate for the loss of flavor ? A food item may claim to have zero calories, but does it also claim to have Zero nutritional value ? Don't believe the hype , look at the Nutritional facts label on the back to really see what your eating , make note of the serving size and read the ingredients.If you don't know what the ingredients are google it !

Plate your food- Cows don't eat from a plate , they graze all day, there's no telling how much they eat. Don't be a cow ! Plate every food item so that you can visualize how much you're taking in. The easiest way to consume way too many calories is to mindlessly eat out a container. Be aware of how much you're eating.

Grocery shop on a full stomach- You are less likely to buy junk when you're at the supermarket when you aren't hungry. First and foremost you should make a grocery list and stick to it. Not only does this method help you save money, it helps you save your waistline

Make fiber a part of your diet- Foods like whole grains, Bran, leafy green veggies, apples ( with skin), pears, peaches, citrus( with pectin- the white stuff), beans, legumes, nutsand seeds are foods high in fiber. Fiber helps you feel fuller longer and slow the absorption of fat and cholesterol into the bloodstream.

Avoid canned and/or processed foods- they are full of sodium, fat and sugar. These " food" items tend to be void of any nutritional benefit. Stick to wholesome fresh foods. " If it comes in a box , tell it to kick rocks ".

Prepare your meals- Put the power in your hands. When you go to a restaurant or eat processed foods others make the decisions as to what you're eating. When you prepare your own meals you're in control of what goes in your mouth, you're also in more control of your weight.Besides , cooking is fun. If you have children , make them a part of the process.

Follow the 80:20 rule- It would be unreasonable to expect you to cut out all your favorite foods. On a diet like that you're 100% sure to fail. the 80:20 rule says that you should eat 80% healthy foods and let you have a little fun 20% of the time. It's like work, monday through friday from 9-5 you're on your best behavior, on the weekends you let yourself loose. There's no need to be stringent about what you eat all the time. ( unless you're on the "reduced joy diet")

Make smart substitutions- Lets say you're following the 80:20 rule, on those 20% foods be wise about your choices. Instead of ice cream have sorbet, you still get to enjoy a nice cool treat without the excess fat and calories. If you want to have a beer make it a light one. If you crave chocolate , try dark chocolate- it has flavinoids and antioxidants.

Bonus *11* Write down everything you eat and drink for a week- include calories if possible. Try to also record how much vitamins and minerals you're getting from your food. You'll be able to look at your eating habits and make a change immediately. If you feel bad throwing food away, donate those canned/processed foods to your local pantry for the needy- you'll be feeding the hungry and improving your health.It's holiday season we should all be willing to give.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-18-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added note to clarify issue of plagiarism
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Nice one, tig! Good point-by-point and easy to read. I like it!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Weight Watchers?

There is some good advice in that article's list, but I disagree about canned veggies and beans. And eating breakfast, I think that's a preference, like eating late at night.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Weight Watchers?
Is that where this is from? I have no clue
Old 12-11-2010, 06:31 AM
FitDay Member

When reading the label, see how many "servings" are in that package. For example, most people eat a whole can of soup, but the typical can of soup is 2 servings. So you have to double the nutrition information to know what you really ate.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:28 PM
FitDay Member

This isn't from weight watchers. These tips are common in most weight loss web sites, forums, magazines, books etc.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:32 PM
FitDay Member

The explanations are my own. BTW
Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Good advice

Good advice to newcomers. I think portion control is the first step then you can move on to other things. Healthy food is only good if you know how much your eating. Thanks for posting good tips.

Patti
Old 12-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
Is that where this is from? I have no clue
A friend emailed it to me this summer. Thought she said it was from WW.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tig0big0
The explanations are my own. BTW
Wasn't trying to insult you! Didn't realize you were the author of the original article it was in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.