View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Antidepressants are a tool, one of many, to combat depression. The degree to which people tolerate them and benefit from them varies enormously.

I think, that with respect to psychotropic medications, it's truly a case by case basis, the same as it is with dieting. People can tout low-carb and show me study after study about how healthy and effective it is, but it does not work for me and I doubt it ever will.

Some folks need antidepressants to give them the energy and the motivation to make other changes in their lives. Some people respond very well to them, and some depressions are largely biochemical in nature. Some folks, including a close relative of mine, don't react well to them at all, and find that none of them works for them. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a psychologist. I don't prescribe; I would rather people do the grunt work of therapy and lifestyle changes as opposed to just running to the prescription pad, but there are times when it is optimal to have both.

I am not disagreeing with anyone's opinion, but I know that a lot of folks on these boards are on such medications and I wanted to point out that there is another side to the coin than the one pinenutcasserole eloquently presented.

One thing you will find me saying again and again on these boards is that if it works for you, do it. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it. Within reason, there is no "right" and "wrong." Another thing I say quite frequently is that you can find anything to support any position on the internet or in the library; you can quite easily find a study contradicting something you just read. So really, there is no ultimate answer for a lot of this.

If you are on the medication route, listen to your doctor, be open and thorough with your doctor...and if you don't completely trust your doctor, find a new one.

And as always, keep sharing your thoughts and experiences, because you never know when one will be an "ah-ha" moment for somebody!

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck

Last edited by cjohnson728; 12-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote