View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
pinenutcasserole
FitDay Member

Default Minimize opportunities to lapse

I can only share my strategies, and hope they're useful.

1. I simply don't buy or keep things in the house that prompt crazy eating. Because when I do, it's a guaranteed failure. (For me, these would be popcorn, corn chips, and poutine. I love me some fat and carbs).

I'm lucky in that the people I live with are also trying to follow low-glycemic principles. Is your wife eating the way you are?

Every now and then a guest will bring over a treat, though, and I indulge. Enough to do my best to keep these incursions to a bare minimum.

2. I try to eat on time and fill up early on the right things. If I eat a proper breakfast, I'm less vulnerable to cravings later in the day, when I have less control over temptations. (Or, when I'm out and about.) Planning helps. I aim to keep healthy snacks on me, though I can do better with that.

3. I eat out less often.

4. I know that I'm weak when I don't follow these guidelines. It's predictable. So if I slip, I don't beat myself up, I just try to correct it at the next opportunity (the next meal, or the next day if I slipped at dinner).

5. I'm trying to weigh myself more often. It's imperfect, since weight fluctuates, isn't always an index of health, etc, but seeing more than a couple of pounds' gain helps keep me aware, and again, lets me feel I can adjust behaviour without feeling guilt. I weigh myself a few times a week.
-------------------

Ok, I reread your post. I'm unemployed at the moment too. It's a tough time. (Though it helps when it comes to keeping me out of restaurants )

It's essential to get out of the house, every day. That alone is cheering, and moves your focus away from eating or worrying. It's nicer if you get out and about with people, in common purpose. I've been taking a class related to performance. The investment is small compared to the returns - a guaranteed weekly appointment; a developing sense of competence in a new field; plus other benefits specific to the thing I'm doing. (Some colleges, schools, and even workshops offer means-tested discounts.)

Nice too to share with your partner - perhaps you and your wife could take up salsa dancing? Join a hiking or running club, or just plan your own hike? Go ice skating, or snowshoeing? (My ex and I got free bikes to poodle around the park on, through Freecycle. It's a summer thing, sure, but you could get gear for other sports that way too...) Many weekend activities like this are fairly cheap. Most papers carry listings.

I guess, phrased in 'goal' terms, the suggestion would be: plan and do one such activity every weekend. Changing them up could be part of the fun.

Last edited by pinenutcasserole; 12-09-2010 at 05:52 AM.
pinenutcasserole is offline   Reply With Quote