Notices

Insanity

Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default Insanity

Hey!
Landed on this website yesterday and started typing in my foods. I found out that my fat intake was too high (30%) and that my protein (21%) probably too low. Does anybody know what pourcentage of each I should be getting while doing insanity ? I'm currently at week #2, in good shape, 5'11 and 187 lbs but with the help of this site, noticed that my eating habits might not be favorable for helping me get good results out of this type of workout.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated !
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

Another thing about Insanity is I'd like to know what kind of shoes you're all wearing ? I was using running shoes but my arche is killing me in some of the workouts. What kind of shoes do you suggest for this kind of workout ? Or is it just normal to have some pain considering the nature of the program ?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
FitDay Member

As long as you are eating clean, unrefined/unprocessed foods, don't worry about fat intake, just make sure it's not trans crap (and don't be afraid of saturated fat, he is not the real enemy).
Set your protein at 1g/LBM (or weight, different opinions here), be sure to be suppelemented with omega-3s (talk fish) and don't overdo with carbs, especially refined ones. Depending on your goal, you'll want to consume carbs preferably post-workout to replenish muscle glycogen, Insanity is basically a HIIT and pushes you to anaerobic zone, similiar to weight training, so getting enough protein and carbs is very important to recover in time due to quite demanding workout schedule.

Concerning shoes, I tried doing both barefoot (but on rather soft surface) and sneakers (Asics running shoes), eventually I sticked with the latter, and no, you are not supposed to feel pain, try another shoes, (maybe with better ankle support?).
Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 AM
FitDay Member

Great, thanks for the reply ! I've noticed during my 2nd week that my body was getting tired so was wondering if it had anything to do with my protein intake. I'm going for my 2nd fit test tomorrow, hoping for some good results ! Have you done a full round of insanity ?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by denizko
As long as you are eating clean, unrefined/unprocessed foods, don't worry about fat intake, just make sure it's not trans crap (and don't be afraid of saturated fat, he is not the real enemy).
Set your protein at 1g/LBM (or weight, different opinions here), be sure to be suppelemented with omega-3s (talk fish) and don't overdo with carbs, especially refined ones. Depending on your goal, you'll want to consume carbs preferably post-workout to replenish muscle glycogen, Insanity is basically a HIIT and pushes you to anaerobic zone, similiar to weight training, so getting enough protein and carbs is very important to recover in time due to quite demanding workout schedule.

Concerning shoes, I tried doing both barefoot (but on rather soft surface) and sneakers (Asics running shoes), eventually I sticked with the latter, and no, you are not supposed to feel pain, try another shoes, (maybe with better ankle support?).
your English amazes me!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

@xuoduarem,
Feeling tired is normal, especially for beginners, but make sure you are not crashing and getting enough calories and proper macronutrients, listen to your body.
And yes, I've done a full round, phase 2 is a real kickass
Currently I'm still occasionaly throwing Insanity workouts into the mix.

@01gt4.6,
Apparently English is not my mother tongue
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

[@01gt4.6,
Apparently English is not my mother tongue [/QUOTE]

Nor is mine, but I guess that 01gt4.6 meant that your English is marvellous indeed and i agree with him. See Russel Peter's video on youtube, where he says 'it's often the Chinese guy who says my friend and I ' (as opposed to me and my friend which is what all people say but it's in fact gramatically incorrect)
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
FitDay Member

@MunaAmin, @01gt4.6,
Ahh, I see now, thanks

@xuoduarem,
Re-read my post, just in case, protein intake is per lb of LBM/bodyweight.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MunaAmin
[@01gt4.6,
ut I guess that 01gt4.6 meant that your English is marvellous indeed and i agree with him.
correct.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

I've just started the Insanity workout and here's what I think so far with the shoes thing.

I tore my ACL completely last June and had it replaced last September. That being said, I'm not really supposed to be doing the Insanity workout hehe.... but as long as I'm good, and CAREFUL, I'm going to give it a shot anyway. (That 1-2-3 step is TOUGH on my knee!) As preparation, I picked up a brand new sturdy knee brace and I also picked up some really great insoles for my sneakers that might be able to help your arches. I think the extra support would be good because, from what you said, it sounds like maybe you fall heavy on your foot? I'd also suggest going to a running store and having them check your stride. A decent running store should be able to tell you in about 5 minutes if you have a neutral stride, you're flat footed, etc. (Try here: Brooks » Find a Dealer)

This may also sound like a silly suggestion but... try doing some of the moves in slow motion without the workout running. Check where your foot falls. I had a little bit of pain myself until I realized that my shoes weren't really tied tight enough so my foot was sliding around a bit AND I was tending to land a little funny on certain things.

As far as shoes go, I'm using Brooks Glycerin 8: women's neutral running shoe - with DNA Brooks Glycerin 8s. These are THE most comfortable shoes, durable... and really worth every penny. I've never been one to spend ANY kind of money on shoes... especially sneakers... but a friend recommended these and they're fantastic!