Notices

Preop

Old 11-09-2010, 01:51 PM
FitDay Member

Default Preop

I have only been with fitday a few weeks and I am still trying to navigate all its quirks. I am 53, diabetic (insulin dependent 30+ years) with diabetic neuropathy in both legs up to the knees. I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP every night.

I have tried every diet and/or exercise program on this planet to no avail. After over a year and a half research, I have made the decision to have a gastric bypass as soon as possible. My husband supports me - somewhat - yet my friends have all kind of deserted me because of this.

I could really use some support. Thanks!

connie5410
Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 PM
FitDay Member

My SIL is a diabetic and wants to have gastric bypass too. So I recommended that she get the post-op diet from her physician and follow it faithfully for a year to see if she can/wants live that way for the rest of her life. I understand it's much more intense than most people realize. So I guess that would be my recommendation to you as well, try the diet and the recommended exercises for an extended length of time, 6 months at a minimum. You never know, you might find that it's not for you or that you don't need surgery to lose weight. On the other hand, I do believe that there are some people that benefit greatly from WLS and it extends their lives exponentially.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with almeeker. 100%!! The diet you need to follow pre-op is intense. It's not like you can have the surgery and then go to McDonald's and have a Big Mac.

I know one person that had the surgery and though she has lost over 100 lbs in like 6 months, she still looks like sh*t... Her skin is all saggy and her son's friends call her batman. (because of the extra skin under her arms). She did the surgery because she was TO LAZY to exercise and eat right.

Therefore, I think the surgery was unnessary for her.

If you truly feel like the only way for you to lost weight is surgery well I guess do it, but you have to truly give yourself 110% at trying to lose wieght naturally to do it. It may be hard at first, but TRUST ME, when you lose wieght do to your own motivation and not surgery the rewards are so much sweeter! You will feel empowered and so accomplished..

Sorry sister, I'm just not a fan at all of surgery..
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the input. I KNOW I am making a drastic change in my lifestyle and yes, the preop diet is harsh ( I've been on it for three weeks ) but I need to do this or end up dying real soon ( according to my doctors)
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hello i am 28 years old and I had gastric bypass on 12-30-2009. I weighed in at 277 i have lost 123 pounds and i am now 154. Thanks to the surgery i am close to my goal weight. I would like to loose 9 more piunds. I had the surgery to beter my health and it has worked. I no longer have high blood pressure or depression. I can honsetly say that i would reccomend this surgery to anyone. It was the best thing i could have ever done for myself. Remember if you are going to have this surgery have it for yourself and no one else. Forget about your friends they are just jealous that you are going to look better than them. However i will tell you that it is hard for your head to catch up with your body. I went from a size 20 to size 10 pants and a 3x shirt to 10/12 and i still find my self going to the larger section for clothes. It is definetly a life changing experience but a great experience. One suggestion following surgery is to find a good thrift store and plan on shopping there for pants. You will end up changing sizes very quickly. Good luck to you.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Connie, you've made a very difficult, very personal decision to proceed with this surgery. It's not right for everyone, but you have decided it's right for you. There are many different paths to restoring one's health, so don't let other people's judgements or beliefs about what is right for them, invalidate your choice for yourself. YOU HAVE MY FULL SUPPORT!

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and that you find yourself able to eat in a healthy, controlled way that will restore your health. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hang in there

Hang in there. I feel your pain. I have sleep apnea too. I use a CPAP nightly. I look like an alien, according to my husband and kids - when I use that thing. I plan on losing enough to stop having to use that thing!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

I plan on losing enough to stop having to use that thing!
That is one of my goals too. Most of my goals don't have to do with what the scale says, it's more about being comfortable in my own body.

Connie, I echo what sheryl_s said.... you need to do what is right for you, regardless of what other people think or say. I think it's good that you are trying out the post op diet, as suggested but it still will be different because your stomach will be a different size which adds to the hunger factor. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

Without the gastric I couldn't lost weight I think that you have to make the best decision for you.But now I am not on any b\p medication anymore.My b\p had been high for many years so I develop renal insuff. So I am really happy with the surgery good luck.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
FitDay Member

Default To Preop

Keep me posted. I am also 53. I am so sick and tired of being fat that I could scream and I do scream sometimes.
I have thought about the surgery, as well. It would be interesting to see if you could follow the post-op diet for a while before you have that surgery. I was talking to a friend yesterday who said she can never have carbonated berverages again in her life. No beer, no soda - ever. I could live without the beer. Not sure about the soda.