View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Hi Albie...welcome and congrats on achieving your first goal! You've obviously worked really hard and I'm glad you can see it start to pay off.

I don't know you well enough to suggests goals and rewards, but basically people tend to do one of two things...set weight goals or behavioral goals. For example, your first goal was a weight goal. You could either do that again or you could get yourself together a list of things as a goal, like exercise 20/31 days this month, drink X number of ounces of water per day, stay 500-1000 calories under what you burn, whatever.

By the same token (maybe the guys will have more of a handle on this), rewards can be tangible or not. You could purchase something for yourself if it's in your budget; if not, promise yourself a day of doing whatever you like with no interruptions or responsibilities (I gotta admit, as a working mom, this is my favorite). I also found it neat to reward myself with new exercise gear or DVDs or song downloads. An afternoon of finding and preparing a good healthy meal is also fun, as is shopping for new and healthy ingredients you haven't tried before, as is getting a book or movie from the library and taking the time to spend with it.

Also, connecting with the forum here gives you great feedback, but you can also have a visual at home...put a star on the calendar or a smiley face in your date book when you've had a good day.

I think you've done great so far and keep in mind how far you've come. Yep, a nonstop eat-fest is a lot of fun, but we pay for it in the long (and short) run. The longer you stay on the new habits, the more firm they'll become. It reminds me of a saying I heard: "What you feed grows, what you starve dies." Feed the good habits and starve the bad ones, and you'll be in good shape.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote