Notices

Counting Carbs vs. Dietary Fiber???

Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
FitDay Member

Question Counting Carbs vs. Dietary Fiber???

I am just getting started here. When counting carbs are you supposed to subtract the dietary fiber out?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 PM
FitDay Member

Fiber is a portion of the carbohydrates. The total for carbs includes the fiber. Fiber is a good thing as it slows down the metabolism of the carb calories (think of it as sustained time release energy). Simple carbs like white bread and sugar have little to no fiber and so metabolize quickly (a quick hit of energy).
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

If you want to get really picky, you could subtract the grams of fibre from the total grams of carbohydrates. The reason a lot of carb-counters do this is because fibre isn't technically digested by the body, and thus renders adding them to the total net carbs quite useless.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kawalker007
I am just getting started here. When counting carbs are you supposed to subtract the dietary fiber out?
Curious as to how you have been handling fiber/carbs. Do you do the subtraction?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

I do low carb but I don't subtract the fiber when I log my food.

What range are you shooting for with your carb intake ?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM
FitDay Member

210. So, if the label says 43 carbs and 13 fibs, are you entering 30 & 13?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kawalker007
Yes, subtract the fiber to get the "net" carbs--those are the only ones you have to count when you're doing Atkins, as an example.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
FitDay Member

When I log my food here on Fitday, I enter the total carbs and total fiber. If I am not tracking it here, and I want net carbs, then I subtract fiber.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie
When I log my food here on Fitday, I enter the total carbs and total fiber. If I am not tracking it here, and I want net carbs, then I subtract fiber.
I think what I'll do is enter total carbs and fiber, since, when I enter a food I've looked up on the database, it comes up that way, and I don't want to have to customize everything I eat. At the end of the day, I scroll down to the pie chart, do the math and enter the net in my journal. This helps me keep an eye on my carb intake goal and saves me from all the extra customization...