Notices

Addicted to sugar

Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Addicted to sugar

I have used Fit Day before to lose 5 or 10 pounds and love the features. I am at the weight I want to be but am eating way too many sweets and too much sugar. Anyone have ideas about how to beat sugar cravings? I really want to eat healthy foods and cut back to just one treat per day.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

hey nykie
My suggestion would be simply not to have any of it in the house. I know it's hard, but if it's there you will eat it (and all of it if you are like me). Instead replace these sugary temptations with Fruit! Ordinary table sugar gets released into your digestive system much faster , causing your pancreas to release alot of insulin (causing sugar highs and crashes) Fruit Sugars have a very low glycemic index and is released slower, meaning not the crash and cravings of candies and sweets.
TRy it! I don't even crave sugar anymore, only fruit. I was once addicted to sugar too!
Good luck :-)
Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

I love sugar also. Not having it around is helpful. Being aware that most processed foods contain high fructose corn syrup. (Like catsup!) Be careful how much of that you eat.

My super dooper answer? Make yourself a really decadent delicious dessert and substitute agave nectar (tastes JUST LIKE corn syrup)

I have a fantastic chocolate mousse thing in my fridge from suzanne somers cookbook and its so rich I can only eat one piece of it without barfing! (YUM! LOL.)

I personally have no problem with high fat foods (real fat, not hydroginated) because I feel that sugar is really the main problem in our diets. Not everyone agrees with that.

So my desert has like 4c. heavy cream in it. I'll let you know in a month or 2 if that solution is working for me! LOL.

Here is my fit journal:
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodLo...ansformedjenny

Send me a message if you want to chat about delicious sweet alternatives!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Suppose to help sugar cravings

Cinnamon - sprinkle it on your oatmeal, or on your apples. Suppose to kill the sugar cravings. I don't usually have them so I can't be sure. Also be sure to get enough calcium. I take a suppliment
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM
FitDay Member

I am a sugar addict as well. There isn't really a trick to it, unfortunately. You just have to decide to quit eating it. I have some sugar free candy in the house, but no sugared candy. I have sugar free cookies, but no sugared cookies. I love coca cola, but keep it out of the house, or I will drink it. My only sugar intake is in my morning coffee, which I am not prepared to give up.

I have noticed the longer I do this the easier it becomes. I also have cut most refined carbs out of my diet too, no white bread, white rice, white flour, potatoes, etc....and I think I have stopped having the blood sugar highs and lows, which has stopped the overwhelming sugar cravings.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

I am the exact same way. When I watch shows or think about people who struggle with drug and alcohol addiction I'm like, "that's exactly how I act, but with sugar . . .". But when I do give into the cravings, I really feel like my addiction just gets heavier and I eat more and more of it!

One of the other posters said something about not bringing it into your house. I have to agree, that's really the only solution that's ever worked for me. However, I live with other people (skinny people) who don't have to stress as much about sugary groceries, so I actually ask them to hide their food sometimes. Then I have to force myself not to look for it.

I don't know, I'm still searching for answers and solutions just like you.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

I am addicted to sugar, salt and fatty foods. I chose to give them up (and not have any in the house). But, I have one day a week where I don't log food or activities and don't worry about what I eat. After a month, I really find it works for me. I find it is taking a touch longer to lose the weight, but I think I'll be more successful in the long run. In the past, I have tried to get rid of everything I loved (sugar, salt, fat) completely and I found that I binged as soon as I reached my goal and gained a ton of weight back.

Another thing you can do is eat something sweet, but healthy. Find some good breakfast cookies or muffins made with whole grain, oatmeal, fruit, chocolate chips and nuts. They will still have sugar, but it will be wrapped up in a meal rather than a dessert.

Good luck and let us know what works for you!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

The only thing that works for me (and believe me, I've tried them all) is to totally abstain and not have any "goodies" in the house. After the first two years I no longer craved sugar, carbs, high fat items and it no longer bothered me if my husband kept them around.

Today we will be celebrating 4 yr old granddaughter's birthday with an ice cream cake. I will have a protein shake made with diet root beer.

It takes a whole lot of effort for the first several weeks, but after that, carbs, sugar, and fats lose their hold on you.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Here is an article which explains how sugar impacts the body....it is kind of disturbing and eye opening. I am going to bookmark this article and read it everytime I want sugar!!

Sugar's effect on your health
Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 AM
FitDay Member

I have had this same problem, now i have one have cup of sherbt a day 90 cal, and raw alomonds help alot too and they are a good fat one cup is 100 cal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.