View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Morganone2001
FitDay Member

I sympathize with your problem of needing protein w/o additional fat. I'm on a 33% carb, 20% fat, 47% protein diet imposed by my internest. Most of my good suggestions have already been mentioned: fat free cottage cheese, light poultry baked or broiled w/o skin, fish, egg whites, fat free skim milk, protein shakes.

I have found American Whey protein shake mix to be the most palatable to me. I have protein shakes 2-3 times a day and still enjoy them. The downside is that you are getting lots of protein and amino acids but none of the necessary vitamins and minerals. I would not recommend 2-3 shakes a day for a normal person. My daughter and her DH work out regularly and have a protein shake after they work out. I have also read that potassium is good for helping build muscles so you might consider adding banana (high in carbs but good for potassium) or kiwi.

I am looking for any kind of a low fat, low carb protein drink that can be heated to make a hot broth or hot chocolate substitute. I have been searching for this for 2 years w/o success so I doubt it exists, but I am hoping somebody on here has some ideas.

I've also found a Greek Yogurt, Fage, that is very low in carbs, fat free and high in protein which makes an acceptable substitute for sour cream or even regular yogurt.
Morganone2001 is offline   Reply With Quote