Notices

Think Positive!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Think Positive!

I'm trying to be more positive and encouraging! So here's a challenge to list the things that you are proud of accomplishing this week:

1) went to the store and used over $50 of coupons!
2) worked on organizing my finances and calculating our net worth
3) got a histogram in the mail from church and discovered that we are in the very top bracket of tithers in terms of dollar amount! This is surprising b/c we live in the cheapest possible condo in a pretty affluent area where most of our friends make over 200k or 300k and we don't even make 100k. We always try to live more frugally and simply in order to give to others and this made us feel like our efforts (like packing lunches everyday) are making a difference!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

I love that you put up this thread. I want to congratulate you on your accomplishments, especially your last one. It's wonderful that you are so giving, especially since, as you say, you may not be as well off as others. Still you sound like you are rich in the important ways.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Great job ruby, well done. Okay for me this week has been a little difficult, I spent all last week belly up with the flu, and it's taking me all this week to recover and while I'm still not up to full throttle the hubs is in Vegas for work - go figure.

1. I got up out of bed on M and Th and put in a very light workout, I also went to the gym on Wednesday night and put in a very mild 45 minutes. Believe me this was a huge accomplishment, especially considering last week I had to go to the ER for IV fluids. I even did about 1/2 my usual ab routine.

2. I sent the kids to school with items to put in the donation boxes. Today they each took 2 things, and I promised them they will have something to take every day in December, and I meant it. So today while I'm home I'm going to scout out things to send and make a pile for them to grab on their way out every day.

3. I did a bunch of Christmas shopping, and because I've been so sick I did it on-line in my pj's. I've shopped on-line lots of times, but I've never used it to do the bulk of my Christmas shopping like that before. Worked great, I got some awesome deals and I stuck very closely to my list (which is very unusual for me).

4. Last week I did not log any of my foods or activities, since everything I ate came back up and "laying catatonic on the couch moaning in agony" doesn't really burn a significant number of calories. But starting on Monday I went right back to it, so that was a really good thing.

Last edited by almeeker; 12-02-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, canary! Wow, sorry you had to go to the ER almeeker. You've been sick for a while now, that can be no fun. Good job Christmas shopping online. I tried making homemade cherry jam for Christmas gifts and I canned 30 jars but none of them set ! So I need a backup plan for homemade Christmas gifts that's really easy. Maybe scented bath salts?!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, I am sorry to hear you have been so sick. It sounds like a terrible ordeal. I certainly hope you are on the mend.

And Rubypeanut, thank you. This was a bright spot during a tough time.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
FitDay Member

Rubypeanut, so sorry to hear about your jam. I used to have trouble with at least one batch of jam every year, but then one year I went to buy pectin and they were out of the regular and I ended up having to buy Ball "No Sugar Added" pectin and it worked like a dream so that's what I swear by now. I believe there is a way to salvage an unset batch. Seems to me if you mix the "No Sugar Added" pectin with 3/4-2 cups fruit juice (in your case cherry) and take it to a hard boil for 3 minutes, then add in the "fruit" for the final stage (which in your case is probably something like ice cream syrup?) then bring it back to a hard boil, then it will set. You have to use new lids, but the rings, jars and fruit should be good to go.

I'm on the mend, today was the first day I didn't have to suddenly lay down or die. Maybe tomorrow the fuzzy headedness will pass and I can actually get in a decent workout, fingers crossed.

Last edited by almeeker; 12-02-2010 at 09:51 AM.