Notices

Hey, I want to find myself beautiful.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hey, I want to find myself beautiful.

I could say I just wanted to lose the weight to be healthy but it is really not just about being healthy. Do not get me wrong, I am a vegetarian, I work out, do yoga, live an active lifestyle but at this point I am just maintaining my weight.

I have had a low-self esteem since puberty since I was an early bloomer and I got my mothers large hips while the other girls stayed seemingly normal. It has always bothered me, but I am starting a new chapter of my life with an amazing man and I want to love myself. I wanna worry about bills, not about not being able to fit in my pants.

I found this website today and decided to try it. It is hard getting weight loss support from a significant other that says you are perfect. I know he thinks I am beautiful but this is not about him.

I need support.

Its nice to meet you.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome! Yes it's about you and that's a good thing. Embrace your curves. I've got fuller thighs, belly and booty and one hard thing for me is to accept I don't have an off the rack body. I often have to buy pants that are too big in the waist to accomodate the thighs and take in the waist, particularly in the small of my back dress pants like to gap. Thankfully my mama taught me to sew. It's a pain, but once the pants are tailored, the rearview is pretty nice now. Good jeans are hard to come by, it can take 8 hours and several stores just to find one pair I don't hate.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
Welcome! Yes it's about you and that's a good thing. Embrace your curves. I've got fuller thighs, belly and booty and one hard thing for me is to accept I don't have an off the rack body. I often have to buy pants that are too big in the waist to accomodate the thighs and take in the waist, particularly in the small of my back dress pants like to gap. Thankfully my mama taught me to sew. It's a pain, but once the pants are tailored, the rearview is pretty nice now. Good jeans are hard to come by, it can take 8 hours and several stores just to find one pair I don't hate.
Thank you for the Welcome.
I completely understand what you are saying. I am lucky to find pants that fit. I despise going pants shopping, id rather throw on a dress and forget about them.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Ashley. It sounds like you are living healthy already but just can't get to where you really want to be. I have two suggestions.

1. You said you work out, so if you are not already start weight lifting. By this I mean lifting heavy (5-6 reps to failure) with free weights. Make compound movements like squats and deadlifts the focus of your workouts. (Make sure you understand the proper mechanics of any exercise and your own limitations before you begin.)
Here is the reasoning: The more muscle you have the more calories you burn even when at rest thus increasing your metabolism. When maintaining a calorie deficit (dieting) your body uses the resources available to make up the deficit. While it is true that fat is burned this way your body will also catabolize muscle at the same time. A study I read found that up to 75% of weight loss could come from lost muscle when participants dieted and did not exercise. This is thought to be our bodies attempt to maintain the level of fat stores in case food intake is reduces even further. If you are building muscle your body is forced to get most of its energy needs from stored fat. Don't worry about getting 'bulky' as women tend to build denser, firmer muscle rather than putting on size. (You just don't have the testosterone to gain that much size.)

2. Make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Protein intake should be between .5 and 1.0 grams per pound of LEAN body weight. (For a 130 pound person at 20% body fat they would have a lean body weight of 104 pounds meaning they need 52 to 104 grams of protein a day.) I have read countless times about women who were frustrated in their weight loss attempts until they increased the protein in their diets. Only protein can build muscle. Carbs and fats cannot. Protein is also harder for your body to convert to fat stores than carbohydrates.

I suggest you check out Bodybuilding.com : Female Transformation Of The Week for more information and inspiration.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

What is it about pants? I have a thick waist and super skinny legs. If the pants fit my waist, my legs are swimming in them and that just makes me look bigger. And unfortunately, unlike Lizzy, I cannot sew.

My husband thinks I'm beautiful but that doesn't help if I feel unattractive. How does one feel attractive? I don't know but Lizzy mentioned acceptance and I think that's a big part of it. I'm not saying don't try to improve but I've met models who hated themselves. It's not always what's there; sometimes it's what you see.