View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

Well, your question is pretty broad but here is what I try to do.
* Severly restrict or eliminate simple carbohydrates like white bread, sugar, juice and processed foods. Instead use whole wheat/grain breads and eat more fruits (the fiber in fruits slows digestion making them a better choice than just juice) and vegetables.
* Good sources of protein include lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy products and beans. I try to keep my protein at 30% of my calories.
* Don't try to eliminate all the fat from your diet. Fat is necessary for nutrient transfer and nueral function. Try to get your fat from whole food like meat, eggs, dairy, avocados and nuts.
* Stop drinking your calories. Soda and alcoholic drinks have little to no nutritional value. Drink more water.

Calories per gram (approximately):
*Protein - 4
*Carbohydrates - 4
*Fat - 9
*Alcohol - 7

As you can see although fat is necessary a little goes a long way with more than double the calories per gram than Protein and Carbs. When it comes how much of each to eat you will need to see how your reacts. My split is 30% Protein, 30% Carbs, 40% Fat. (Fitday had a nice chart that will track this for you.) Others have had success with other percentages. I suggest you browse throught the old posts to see what has worked for others.

If you need help with the mechanics of the site just ask.

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote