Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Was sick; should I be making up for lost nutrients? >

Was sick; should I be making up for lost nutrients?

Notices

Was sick; should I be making up for lost nutrients?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Was sick; should I be making up for lost nutrients?

Sometimes I forget that I'm 25lbs less than I was a couple months ago.

I was on a bender last night. I was able to get 1000 calories from food, and about 1700 from the beer. And this is a typical sitting at the bar for me in which a hangover doesn't typically follow. I only drink once every few weeks, and it's go big or go home for me. So no sweat... This isn't a nutritional constant

So I only ate 1000 calories in good food. I'm pretty sure I had that well metabolized before the "up-chuck" began. Of the 1700cals from beer, I'm not sure if I got it all out, but a good portion of it. I passed out before I could get any more good food and protein in me, and this concerns me as I'm trying to get some muscle work done. I've been at about 2100-2200 calories, 70-100g of protein the last few days, but yesterday I couldn't get to that quota.

This morning I threw up everything I consumed, including water. Finally, I think my stomach is settling after a nice hot tea. I'm about to attend a Sunday family gathering with a bunch of Italians, so there's no doubt I could get in 6 plates of food if I wanted. Since I got fewer calories and not many good calories last night, and I haven't been able to consume anything so far today, would it be good to make up for this by having a big dinner in a couple of hours? And maybe have an extra meal and aim for maybe 2800 calories on the day to make up for my losses? Or will it still not be good to consume a large meal in one sitting, and all excess will simply be converted to fat?

Yesterday and the 3 previous days I was 157 on the button, and I was happy there. Today, I was nearly 4lbs lighter. I weighed myself shortly after a cup of water that was thrown up nearly instantly, so I might have contributed bias to that number by that little shift... But anywho, 4lbs on the day isn't so healthy, and I figure I'm in starvation mode now. Just something to consider while pondering up an answer
Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't binge eat to try to make up for it, just eat like normal.... I wouldn't drink either
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

Have you considered the possibility of stomach flu?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Don't try and make up lost calories.... just go forward on a new day. And, just a suggestion here, don't drink like that again! Vomiting and passing out doesn't sound like much fun.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:41 PM
FitDay Member

Just know that drinking like that will kill your chances of putting on any appreciable muscle. Binge drinking like that not only fogs your brain the next day (as I'm sure you're well aware) but it also causes muscle breakdown and joint inflammation. Good luck training when those two are in effect.

You're better off enjoying a beer or two every 3-5 days (100-400 kcals worth) instead of pounding upwards of 2000 kcals on a single night, and certainly not around training days. I know this doesn't fit your drinking philosophy, but I don't think your muscles/body care much for your drinking philosophy as it stands.

Binge eating to make up for lost nutrients won't do you much good either. Just try to hit your calorie goals for the day; pick up where you left off. That said, it might be a good idea to replenish the minerals you yakked out via a "band-aid" multi-vit supplement just to help with the hangover.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:18 PM
FitDay Member

Being 25 lbs lighter will affect your tolerance for sure, and age will do that to you too. It may be time to back off on the beer benders, even if they aren't frequent. The 4 lb loss is likely dehydration from the upchuckfest. I'd eat as normal, if it was stomach flu and not the beer, eating too much will just make you sick again, and you probably don't really need it anyway.