Notices

Help - What do you think of my diet?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
All the food looks good. What is your Protein, Carb, Fat as percentages of calories? What is your calorie deficit?
Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
Just from your sample day's menu it looks to me like you might not be eating enough fat. Some easy tweaks might be to switch to whole dairy and eat an egg breakfast 2-3 times per week.

Fat is essential for survival, and if your body thinks there isn't enough coming in through the environment, it tries to hoard as much of it as it can. Maybe adding some fat back in to your can help you continue your fat loss.
I am curious as to what the percentages should be? Like today mine were 52 carbs, 24 fat, 24 protein?

And Tandoorichicken.... How much fat, what kind, and how do I know the differences?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

emmacs83;
The percentages should be whatever works for your body. That said, my percentages are about 30% carb, 30% protein, 40% fat. I try to get most my carbs from vegetables and fruit. Some others have success with 40% protein and lower fat. Experiment and see how your body reacts.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
emmacs83;
The percentages should be whatever works for your body. That said, my percentages are about 30% carb, 30% protein, 40% fat. I try to get most my carbs from vegetables and fruit. Some others have success with 40% protein and lower fat. Experiment and see how your body reacts.
I mean what I am doing seems to be working I was just curious. Anything I can tweak to make it better ya know! So less bread/potato type carbs, more veggies. Ok, now how do I get my fat up in a good way? I seem to be low on that. I usually eat eggs in the morning with some wheat toast, couple hours later I will eat some veggie soup, or a tuna sandwich, dinner is usually meat, potatoes, and veggies. snacks include popcorn(94% fat free smart pop, fruit (pineapple, orange, tangerines, grapes, apples), Yoplait light yogurts, Sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding/ jello... not all of these in a day of course , just giving you an idea of snacks I typically eat.

Any suggestions?

Here are my stats.

6'2"

Start weight 277
current 274

Goal 225

I walk and jog everyday except sunday

I lift on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Crunches and push ups everyday
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

emmac,

I try to balance my fats with all different types, including saturated fats, monounsaturated fats, and omega-3's. I try to stay away from omega-6 fats because they are pro-inflammatory and can lead to GI troubles, joint problems, and bad allergies in the spring. That said, I'm currently exploring certain omega-6's after my workouts to promote muscle building, but that's more complicated than it needs to be.

Basically, I do a lot of cooking in virgin coconut oil and olive oil, eat whole eggs, have fish and grass-fed beef as often as possible, and on top of that take fish oil. I'm also a big fan of cheeses and chevre.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:50 PM
FitDay Member

Nik, I eat very much the way you do and have recently started cooking with virgin coconut oil. Interesting that for so long we were told that coconut oil was unhealthy. We also eat whole eggs and are looking for a local source for free-range. My husband and I are both older and in excellent health, which we attribute to a lifetime of good eating and exercise habits. Money spent on healthy food and our health club dues pays off in a better life. I am very interested in nutrition and exercise and consider raising a healthy family to be one of my greatest accomplishments. Keep spreading the word!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:57 PM
FitDay Member

Have you tried stevia as a sweetener?

This is easily the best I've tasted:

NOW Foods Stevia Liquid Extract 2 oz Liquid - Swanson Health Products