View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Jptfenwick, I'm going to gather from Scotty's writing style that he ain't from the states.

Scott, you'll likely get a range of answers regarding your meal timings, so I'll start off by saying I usually don't eat much in the mornings either, although I don't do this because of calorie counting I do it because I'm usually not hungry in the morning. A cup of coffee will usually do it for me until noon.

As far as peri-workout nutrition goes, you don't want to ever workout on a full-stomach, but it is important to have protein and some carb a few hours before you workout. On the days you do 5 x 5, save your biggest meal for after your workout, where it will go towards building and repairing muscle and replenishing your energy. I've heard it said that within the first few hours of heavy lifting you can eat pretty much whatever you want without it going to fat, and while I wouldn't jump on the ice cream right after the gym, pounding down a large, sensible meal after you get home will really go a long way in helping with recovery.

If you need help filling in calories throughout the day, carry some snacks with you and just graze at your leisure throughout the day. Beef jerky, almonds, some fruit, carrot sticks, or the occasional protein shake in a water bottle are all great for this.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote