View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Scott, I'm jumping onto this thread because judging from your pictures, you and I have a similar build. I too am going for some fat loss in my midsection, which will be tricky going into the holidays, but I think I can make it work. As it were, I'm also sporting some upper-lip brush for Movember. Every man deserves a little luxury!

The reason I bring this up is because I am eating roughly 2500 calories/day, doing no cardio whatsoever (unless you count supersets and explosive squat warmups as cardio =] ), and just focusing on raising my numbers in the gym (275# deadlift, 205# squat, 150# bench as of last week). Keep in mind that I do these lifts for no more than five reps at a time, and besides that a few accessory exercises and I'm done with the gym in under an hour. Four times a week.

And, I'm still losing fat. And gaining muscle. And for the most part, I still look like your pictures. I haven't ballooned in size at all over the last two years that I've been exercising like this. My weight has topped out at 165 lbs and right now I'm struggling to put on even more muscle.

Like Jason and Mike are saying, this is a long-term strategy for health. Your appearance will improve as a side-effect, but if you chase after appearance by depriving yourself of food for long periods of time and exercising so much you leave no room for recovery, you will only be sacrificing your health in the long run.

Stick to a long-term plan, commit to eating well and gaining strength, and all good things will follow.

Good luck.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote