View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
gmantych
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
My girls take a sack lunch 4 days/week and get hot lunch once/week. Another mother was appalled that I send a water bottle in their lunches everyday and won't send them with money to buy a carton of milk. It just so happens that my kids were all allergic to cow's milk as babies so they've been raised on soy milk. None of them like the taste of cow's milk, so water is a good option for us. And as I was trying to explain to her that I'm not a neglectful parent I happened to mention that her child gets chocolate milk everyday and it's actually got twice the calories that whole white milk has and that I found that rather appalling. Needless to say she still thinks I'm a horrible parent.

Good news on this topic. One of the children my DD is friends with is absolutely darling and a little on the chubby side. I've always liked her, she reminds me of myself at that age. Not long ago she was over at our house for a B-day party and a couple of the other girls were picking on her because of her weight, and it just broke my heart. Anyway today I caught up with her mother and talked to her about the fact that her daughter is being targeted at school. She nodded and told me she's dried up tears over it more than once. So I suggested that her DD join the swim club with mine and that I would be happy to help her get back and forth to practice. The mom was very interested in doing it, so I think this is going to be a really positive arrangement.
About all I can say right now is WOW. What is up with this mother thinking you are a horrible parent for sending your children water to have with their lunch. That is 95% of what my DD has with her lunches. We go to a charter school and they dont provide lunches, so she takes her lunch everyday. They do have a drink machine and she takes $ once a week to buy a diet soft drink. I would love to know how she thinks chocolate milk is any better than water. I guess my main problem is why is it any business of hers on what you feed or dont feed your children. I could go on and on about how this is what is wrong with the world today. We can't raise our own children how we see fit without someone sticking their nose in. But I am going to stop there because I dont want to change this thread to anything negative.

I will say this, Almeeker you are truly an amazing person. Do not stop how you are raising your children to be more active and healthy. I am sure you dont, but do not let others get under your skin for their lack of knowledge or caring.

Glenda

Starting Weight-228-9/27/10
Current Weight-210.4-4/30/11
Goal Weight-150
gmantych is offline   Reply With Quote