Notices

constipation?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

Default constipation?

Anyone find that dieting/workingout/losing weight = more constipation? I take metamucil everyday but I'm afraid of getting depending. I drink TONS of water but still need stool softeners, and even then only go 1-2 times a week.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM
FitDay Member

Probably not enough fiber in your diet.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

That was a problem for me in dieting in the past. Haven't had the problem this time. Two things made the difference, IMO. (1) Enough food to actually keep my digestive system going. I noticed in the other thread that you mentioned 600 calories today...I used to really restrict my food intake (albeit not that much), and doing so caused things to really slow down in terms of getting through my system. This time I cut the calories enough to lose, but realized that cutting more calories does not necessarily mean you lose faster (2) As Ann says, FIBER! The daily requirement is suggested at 25g per day. I started watching that number like a hawk, making sure to get above it every day, and it really does make a huge difference. Night and day, seriously.

I did those two things differently this time, and this is the ONLY time out of I don't know how many that I have been able to achieve my goal (and, more importantly to your question, not be constipated). Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. But I think they both contributed.

Incidentally, I read that water does not help, even though conventional wisdom says it does. However, on the internet, you can find anything to support any position, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
FitDay Member

Or green bananas, Oh precious Lord save me from green bananas.

Usually when I get a bout of constipation I treat it with diet, usually a couple of apples and some oatmeal, or granola (oatmeal + corn syrup) and I'm good to go. I also find water is key, if I get the least bit dehydrated, it's a no go situation.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

The following may be TMI so readers beware.

I suffer from Diverticulosis so I'm getting to be a subject matter expert on fiber issues. There are 2 kinds of fiber. Insoluble and Soluble. Insoluble is like Metamucil & Oatmeal. It stays intact through the digestion process and helps matter move through you colon. Soluble fiber is what binds things together. You need both types and hydration. Soluble fiber can be found in Benefiber and assorted freggies.

Also, it's not so much the frequency of going as how hard it is to pass stool that matters. Everyone is different. Constipation is very hard on the colon wall which is why people can get diverticulosis. If you need the softeners to help pass stool then talk to your doctor. Those supplements aren't really supposed to be used as a daily regimen.

My only recommendation is to take a fresh look at your diet and water intake and make sure your getting 25g +/- of assorted fiber everyday. If you are right where you should be, talk to your doctor.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

I've always (since High School) had constipation issues so it might just be me, and then eating less exacerbates it since there's just less matter to move around. I did one day of the "Alternate Day Diet" where you switch off from 500 calories to 2500-300o (basically eating w/out having to worry about counting), basically it's a form of calorie cycling. Today is my eat a lot day which I am enjoying ;P so we'll see how I can manage. The hard part will be explaining to/hiding from my 4 year old daughter why I'm not eating much some days -- I don't want her to get food issues.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

I've really been suffering from digestive issues recently. I've always found that eating too many starchy carbs (gluten-free included) gives me a bloated gassy belly and erratic bowl movements. But over the last month or so, I've been feeling that way regardless of how I eat. My movements aren't really the issue so much as the discomfort that precedes them. I've been tested for coeliacs disease in the past & it came back negative & as I said, it doesn't matter whether it's gluten-free food or not. I'm wondering if I have IBS... Can someone develop IBS or is it a hereditary/genetic thing? Does anyone have similar issues who can offer advice?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

After years of battling constipation and indigestion I have found what works for me. I now take a magnesium supplement and eat a breakfast of old fashioned rolled oats with apples. I can't believe what a difference it has made for me.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM
FitDay Member

I go everyday and more than once on a good day. I drink water like my life dependent on it and also tons of green tea. I have never being really good with incorporating fiber into my diet, although I am working on it now. So basically i swear by loads of water and green tea. The minute I get even a little dehydrated, I find the next day, It doesnt come as "naturally" as usual. hehe sorry if it is tmi

Just my two cents.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with blkane--both types of fiber are necessary, and the major issue is how hard it is to pass stool. Oatmeal or other whole grain cereal, metamucil, and fruit neatly solve the problem. My father knew what he was doing when he insisted on having fruit to put on his AM cereal every day. He indoctrinated all of us that ceral plus milk needs fruit to taste good. At this time of year, it's either bananas, craisins, or dried apricots. In the summer, I go for peaches or berries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.