Notices

Splits or full Body workouts

Old 11-13-2010, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Splits or full Body workouts

Anyone care to share what has been most successful in the gym for them? Split routines or full body workouts?
Mainly curious what do most of you do?
I am currently doing:

3 Sets 10-12 reps Circuit style
lat pulls Sit Ups incline
Squats Bench Press
Calf Raises Cable pull Downs
Cable Curls overhead dumbells
I do this circuit style and go around 3 times in about an hour

Every other day with cardio on off days and Sun rest.

I rotate order and change excercises weekly. but sets and reps stay the same. I try to go as heavy as possible for each set. Up to this point I have been doing this on a calorie deficiet and have been dropping fat. I have reached a point where I want to graduate a little so I was thinking about doing a split routine any suggestions? Do you think from experience that at my age this is smart or should I just keep going like this for a few more months?
Just wanting opinions at this point.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

I prefer heavy compound exercises. They simulate natural movements and build functional strength, targeting multiple muscle groups with one exercise.

Personally I will never do a set of shrugs again when my traps get great work doing deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts or even rack dead lifts.

If you are still trying to build up your strength stick with the full body workouts.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great program. Its similar to your workout, and you lift 3 times a week.

FREE eBook: Here?s How to Lose Fat Naturally while Building Muscle Mass and Getting Stronger | StrongLifts.com

I'm not really a fan of split routines, many of them have a lot of useless isolation exercises that build little muscle, burn little calories, and call for lifting 5-6 times a week. You can get better results working out less, while lifting more weight when you do heavy compound lifts. Most people don't squat when they go to the gym because its hard, and they are wimps, but it is the most beneficial lift for your body. Its good to see that you were squatting so stick with it!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Jason, I noticed my traps are getting bigger too and I haven't done shrugs in a long time, must be the deadlifts.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

My traps are even getting work doing dumbbell step ups, and those give you glutes of steel. Who needs shrugs? Who needs bicep curls when you can do pull ups or chins?

Its funny how many times I do a full body workout and see some beer gut middle aged guy busting out set after set of different variations of bicep curls. Will his body ever change with this misguided routine? Yes in fact it will just keep growing sideways! LOL.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by midwestj
My traps are even getting work doing dumbbell step ups, and those give you glutes of steel. Who needs shrugs? Who needs bicep curls when you can do pull ups or chins?

Its funny how many times I do a full body workout and see some beer gut middle aged guy busting out set after set of different variations of bicep curls. Will his body ever change with this misguided routine? Yes in fact it will just keep growing sideways! LOL.
I agree. I'm getting much stronger now. Now I wear a back pack with 40#'s of weight stuffed in it for chinups. I can see the change in my arms, back, everything.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM
FitDay Member

Right now I'm in the middle of a full-body EliteFTS powerlifting program, four days a week, two days upper, two days lower. For each upper/lower, one day's main lifts are max effort (all-out) and one day's are dynamic effort (lighter but explosive). It looks something like this:

Day 1
Bench press 8 x 3
Rack lockout to 3RM
DB bench 5 x 10
Chins 5 x 10

Day 2
Dead/squat/rack pull to 5RM
3 x 8 good morning
posterior chain 5 x 10
abs 5 x 10

Day 4
Floor press to 3RM
triceps 5 x 10
Chins 5 x 10
Face-pulls 5 x 10

Day 6
Box squats 6 x 4
Deadlifts 6 x 1
posterior chain 5 x 10
abs 5 x 10

Interspersing days are rest. Reps change slightly depending on mood/schedule, and I try to move up a little on all my lifts from week to week. I'm gaining good strength as well as some muscle, and dropping body fat, slowly but surely. Best part is I'll finish up around the new year, so I'll be ready for a change.

Last edited by tandoorichicken; 11-19-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarifications and formatting
Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Push ups, squats and sit ups. I have to add these to every workout I do.

Every female should do squats. I am addicted! Ladies, your thighs and butt will thank you!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Every female should do squats. I am addicted! Ladies, your thighs and butt will thank you!
Every guy will thank you too!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the info I am going to give these compound movements a go fo a couple months. I will rotate the excercises, lifting heavy using a variation of the avice you all gave.
I think I will give myself 2 days off between sessions with HIIT cardio on one of the off days for a few weeks and see how it goes.

I will continue to eat clean on a slight calorie deficiet.

Will check back in here in a couple weeks to let you guys know how its going.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

How do you do your HIIT? I have found it most effective on a stationary cycle.

To increase intensity I increase the resistance, and keep my revolutions the same (80-100.)

Rest intervals are like 60-75 watts, and working intervals are about 400-500.

The bike has the lowest impact and can switch between resistances almost instantly. Many people use treadmills but they have the delay in change of speeds, and also most treadmills cannot go as fast as your "max" intensity. Most go to about 9 mph and most men can sprint faster than that.

Once they freeze the rinks here, I won't even use the bike I'll just play hockey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.