Notices

Counting calories and weighing the food??

Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Counting calories and weighing the food??

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie, just started the calorie counting today, i'm a little confused though. Say I'm going to make a tuna sandwhich on whole wheat bread with light mayo. Do I have to enter all the labeling on the bread package, tuna can, and mayo jar to the fitday calorie count?? Also how will I know how much mayo to put as a serving size?? This is kind of confusing to me, sorry guys!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default create a custom food

Originally Posted by sweetkisses1227
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie, just started the calorie counting today, i'm a little confused though. Say I'm going to make a tuna sandwhich on whole wheat bread with light mayo. Do I have to enter all the labeling on the bread package, tuna can, and mayo jar to the fitday calorie count?? Also how will I know how much mayo to put as a serving size?? This is kind of confusing to me, sorry guys!
Hello,

Yes, unfortunately you probably should enter all of those things separately to get an accurate count of your calories. I suggest that you make one custom food for "tuna sandwich" so that you don't have to enter all that information every time you make one. Once you create a custom food it will always be in your custom food list.

As far as the mayo, use a measuring spoon and get the nutrition info from the jar. I am guessing that the serving size on the jar is probably one tablespoon, so if you use 1/2 tbsp just cut the values from the jar in half, and if you use two tbsp just double the numbers on the label, etc.

Best of luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davej323
Hello,

Yes, unfortunately you probably should enter all of those things separately to get an accurate count of your calories. I suggest that you make one custom food for "tuna sandwich" so that you don't have to enter all that information every time you make one. Once you create a custom food it will always be in your custom food list.

As far as the mayo, use a measuring spoon and get the nutrition info from the jar. I am guessing that the serving size on the jar is probably one tablespoon, so if you use 1/2 tbsp just cut the values from the jar in half, and if you use two tbsp just double the numbers on the label, etc.

Best of luck.
I would create a custom food for each of the ingredients and then put the amounts in using grams. I have just tended to put in a few each day - particularly those I use regularly. It soon builds up. If you weigh and measure to start with, you will gradually be able to guestimate the weight in your serving sizes and be pretty accurate. This then becomes really useful if you are eating out. Just be patient with yourself.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I personally enter each food in separately as a custom food.

In the name I state the serving size, so I would enter in the name like this:

Kraft low-fat mayo (Serving 2 tbsp)

Then in Fitday, if I only ate 1 tbsp (half of the serving size) on my food log I would just put in .5 for the amount.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KajolThappar
Alright, if your wanting to lose weight then you need to burn more calories than you take in. so if you were taking in around 1500 cals a day, then you would need to burn 2000 cals a day. If you are in a 500 calorie deficit everyday, then you will lose one pound a week. 1000 deficit= 2 pounds. Calories are calories no matter where they come from. the only real difference between eating 300 cals form chicken breast and eating 300 cals from a snickers is how you feel afterwards. Thats it. Good Luck
Every post I've read of yours has almost nothing to do with the topic. Why?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

I create everything separate, b/c you may change bread, or use different amounts of tuna and mayo.

When I make a PB&J, I weight everything. It's funny b/c I use 32g of natty PB and I weight the bread, hit tare and throw the PB on the bread and I'm usually within 1g on the 1st try.