Notices

What are some healthier Alcohol options/suggestions

Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default What are some healthier Alcohol options/suggestions

Okay so here's the deal, I tend to be around alcohol a lot, we have a free wine and cheese firm event every Friday and there is a day of the week (normally sat) where my SO and I normally have date night and also involves alcohol. I do love drinking on social occasions. And if restricting my actual food intake so I can still have room for alcohol without going over my calorie intake I will. Anyway I was wondering for all your social drinkers, what is the best option of alcohol?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

I found it very hard to drink much and still lose weight. Afterwork drinks ended pretty quick and with my partner it happens now every couple months instead of once a week now.
But we still have date nights, we go for a walk and spend quality time together.
My experience was that any time i went out and ate and consumed more than a few drinks, my weight loss would come to a halt that week.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Red wine keeps coming up as being good for both the heart and the brain, so if you are going to drink, that may be a good choice, though I think some newer research may be showing a benefit from other alcohols as well.

With alcohol, as with everything, I'm a big believer in moderation. It's a lot easier to accommodate a glass of wine than four. Just be aware that alcohol lowers inhibitions and that includes eating, so you may make some food choices you might not otherwise. And hopefully you're not talking about taking in only half your calories so you can save half your daily ration for the drinks !
Old 11-12-2010, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

DH likes a drink or two on Friday and Saturday nights. He's something of a bar tender, so the drinks vary. I've found that I really quite like a 1/2 jigger of rum in a diet cola. Or stretch the whiskey on the rocks out with diet ginger ale. And when it comes to wine, I sometimes buy the little bottles at the store, and limit myself to one or two.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 AM
FitDay Member

You will get all kinds of answers on this. I personally do fine on Bud Select 55 cal. Drink it (1-3 bottles) most evenings. Pretty much fit the 55-165 Cals into my calorie alowance. I had some bourbon 3 or 4 stiff drinks on the rocks at a party the other night and it really hung with me up a few lbs for 2 or three days after.
Same thing with wine packs it on for me. I will stick with my beer, it works for me.
Stay away from liquor that makes you feel crappy the next day, and dont drink so much of the stuff that agrees with you that you are hung over the next day.

We all have social situations where it is hard not to drink. Go ahead and drink if you arent an alcoholic and enjoy just dont over do it and you will be fine.
Of course that is just my non professional opinion from personal experience.

If you cant reach your goals with alcohol in the diet then definately try cutting it out, but if you are honest with tracking it and you dont drink in excess it fits fine in a calorie deficiet situation IMO
Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

I think part of it depends on your preferences. I'm definitely a social drinker as well and usually have some sort of weekend event that involves alcohol. I always try to prepare myself during the day by finding ways to feel like I'm eating just as much but swap out higher calories. I will pick out a lower calorie frozen meal, skip the cheese on a burrito, put extra banana in my protein shake and skip the peanut butter- things like that. I usually allow for less of a calorie deficit as well- as long as there still is one. My biggest challenge is stopping once I've had enough calories or saying no to the food (which is especially hard when your tipsy friend decides he needs to make 4 boxes of mac n cheese (my fave) and there are only 5 people eating!!!)

I also enjoy the bud 55 calorie beers when I'm at a casual event usually. Sometimes I feel like it takes more of them though to feel a buzz because their alcohol content is lower. Wine is pretty low cal (compared to other alcohol) but a "glass" of wine is about 4oz and I could drink a lot more than that! I usually drink light beer if I need that feeling of sipping or holding a drink in my hand since it takes longer to drink than a shot or mixed drink. Plus it just feels like more when there's a big glass in front of you. My go to hard alcohol drink is rum and diet coke but you have to be careful if you go to a bar and order it because you can never be certain how much rum they actually put in so it's harder to track.

As others have stated, I also notice a pound or so change on the scale for the next day or two even though I kept a deficit. It usually drops back in a couple days though but I'm sure it slows the progress. Although I'd prefer to not have the extra pound the next day, it's not worth it to me to completely ban it- it's something I enjoy. Moderation and trying to limit the days it happens is key for me.
Annie
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys! I was thinking of sticking to red wine as well, but I think I might also try the bud 55. I am obviously not an alcoholic but alcohol is definitely part of the sub culture I hang with. I do enjoy having having a little buzz now and then not gonna lie. But definitely will not do it if it impedes on my weight loss progress. As I have only 15-20 lbs to lose and I am also very "small statured" hehe, it is looking like I might have to really get stricter with my calorie intake which might mean just avoiding it all together until I at least get to a maintenance phase. I guess with trial and error I will be able to see what will work for me. really appreciate the suggestions!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:11 PM
FitDay Member

I love me my wine! But, instead of 2 to 3 glasses every night or so, now I'm having 2-3 glasses per week. Tonight is one of those nights! Great sale on my favorite red wine - how could I possibly refuse?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

Another good option is 1 shot of clear liquor (less toxins) + LOTS of ice + just a splash of juice or soda.

My favorite is clear rum + ice + splash of diet coke + lots of lime juice. And because it is stronger than a normal mixed drink you are forced to sip it very slowly.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

I go out A LOT! I am a social drinker and have had no problem working Coors Light and whiskey shots into my macro while hitting my goals.

I stay away from the wines, wine cooler type drinks (like mikes hard lemonade) and liquors (like kahlua).

The sugar/carb content seems to be the difference, at least with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.