Notices

Early 40's Mom getting frustrated

Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Red face Early 40's Mom getting frustrated

Any other formerly-fit moms in their early 40's out there who are trying to get back to their former selves? My goal is to lose 25 lbs by July 10th (my 25th high school reunion)! Not a lofty goal..should be doable but I'm really struggling. I am hovering around 150lbs and cannot seem to get lower.

The techniques I used in my early 30's don't seem to be working for me now! I'm doing 1200-1500 calories per day, and working out 4 - 6 times per week. I'm using the FIRM DVDs and also walking briskly for about 2 miles. With 2 preschoolers at home, I don't have much time for working out.

Have any other women in their 40's found a plan that is working for them? I've been at this for about a month and have lost almost nothing. Well at least I haven't gained. I'm getting so frustrated and feeling hopeless about getting a fit, toned body back at this "advanced" age!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I'm sorta the same, except in my late 40's. And what used to work to trim down no longer works. I found it to be a matter of calories in - calories out. There was a time when I could easily lose weight on 1500 a day with just walking for an hour a day. Now it takes an hour to an hour and a half of pretty substantial workouts at least 5 days a week, up to 7 miles walking also on weekends, and 1200 calories a day to get the scale to budge downward.

Sedentary job is a lot of it for me - last three years, for the first time in my life, I have a job that keeps me seated all day. I'm actually looking for another job and not just because the job itself is boring as all get out, but because I know all this sitting is not good for my health or weight, and I honestly love to be active and move around more. Money's good, but it if destroys your health...

So it's not just you. Age will get us all.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
FitDay Member

I am also in my late 40s and I have to work hard to drop weight, where before it was pretty darned easy!! After a month I have managed to lose 7 crappy pounds!! And most of that came off the first week!! My calorie intake is averaging 1200 calories. I am sure it is hormone related. I suspect we need to seriously cut carbs and sugar in order to lose weight, but I personally will only cut carbs so far. I don't believe in eliminating grain products from my diet, as they are what feeds my brain, but I eat no white carbs..no white flour, white rice, white breads, potatoes, etc.

I recently started exercising, so we will see if that makes all the difference, I am sure hoping so.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I've just added exercise too. I'm hoping for some results. I'm eating about 55% carbs and I don't know how much lower I can go without becoming miserable. This is a real struggle. At least we are not alone.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
FitDay Member

cmeag, I keep my carbs down below 50%. I try for 40% but rarely can pull that off!! I usually end up being somewhere in the 40s% though. I don't feel miserable at this. I TRY and get 30% fat and 30% protein, again I usually don't quite manage it with fat being a little too high and protein being a little low..but at least I have a goal to strive for.

It isn't easy at ALL!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default I'm 43

I can't honestly say that I've given weight loss or exercise a serious shot since I was in my 30s. I can say it's harder now, but I need to give it a chance.

What I do know is that I can't do it with diet alone. Or cardio alone. I have to eat smarter AND get my heart rate up & sweat with cardio AND do strength training with weights on a regular basis - all three - and keep it up for more than a month before I'll see measurable results. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

KT, that's great progress! I'd be thrilled to lose 7 lbs in one month! I'm doing good to lose .5 to 1 lb a week. Oh, well, as long as i'm losing, even slowly, downward is the goal. My knees and back are tired of carrying around this extra 20-30 lbs. I'd give a lot to be able to run again, but I'm just too heavy for that kind of impact workout and I know it. Sigh.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cmeag
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I've just added exercise too. I'm hoping for some results. I'm eating about 55% carbs and I don't know how much lower I can go without becoming miserable. This is a real struggle. At least we are not alone.
My carbs are averaging about 45-50% over time. I don't eat red meat, and I don't really like chicken very much, so I'm a little limited. I haven't eaten white bread for a long time, nor rice, nor potatoes, although there are a few refined grains hanging around - have not found a decent substitute for water crackers, for example. But I don't think I can go a lot lower either, unless I give up coffee with nonfat milk and SUGAR. ARGGGHHH!!!! I don't like artificial anything, and I don't like black coffee!!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

I am in my early 40s and have struggled with gaining and losing the same 10-20 pounds ever since my high school days (so I don't really want to get back to the shape I am in high school!).

I think as an adult it's easier to identify emotional eating...that's worked for me, to recognize that and cut it out.

Upping the cardio (I try to do an hour 6 days a week) has also helped me make some progress. Find something you love to do and you will want to instead of feeling like you have to. I NEVER thought I would look forward to exercise, but I do.

I am hoping to incorporate more strength training in once I lose my last 7 pounds and then can increase my calories to maintenance. Supposedly that boosts a middle-age metabolism, too.

Keep at it and you will be rockin' your reunion!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Me, too!

I'm 44 and was fat my whole life until I lost 90 lbs about 5 years ago. I cut my carbs back drastically and then started doing some exercise after I'd lost the majority of the weight. Well, I've gained about 10 lbs back over the past few months since starting nursing school. When I'm sitting for hours for lectures, I swear I can feel my metabolism coming to a screeching halt!

So I decided to get really strict with my carbs again yesterday and expect it to take a few weeks to get rid of my excess. With school and a crazy schedule, I don't have much exercise time these days so I've got to make it happen primarily through diet and I HATE going hungry so low-carbing is my preferred method.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.