Notices

Weighted Jog

Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weighted Jog

I hope this isn't already on the boards somewhere.

I've been getting into jogging as of late and employ a weighted method. Since I don't have enough money for a weight vest, I use one of two items.

1) 7-foot long 3" rigid pipe - weight = 18lbs
- move/swing/arm pump as I jog. Either carried on shoulders (across meat, not on bone), or carried like a stick in hand. Used after cardio workout.

2) Long heavy chain - weight = 33lbs
- mostly wrapped in a X pattern across chest. Hooks on both ends tie it together. While jogging, release the chains and lift ends into hands in different fashions for arm strength, ect. Employed as it's own workout.

Both items help a lot with both lower and upper body when I jog. I was only doing 1.5miles with both, but have recently moved up to 2 miles now. Looking to increase distance in 2 weeks, then weight soon after!

I'm looking to keep track of these activities with this site. I've found the generic "jogging - general" item in the activities section, but nothing on weighted jogging. I'm wondering either where I can find or how I can add this type of workout.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

I truly have no clue, but I'm betting you look like a real bada** when you work out!

Could you borrow a heart rate monitor to get an idea? The calories burned counts in FitDay and other sites, and even on machines in the gym, are not always accurate, and I found that by using a heart rate monitor that tracks calories burned, I got a very good feel for different things, enough so that I don't always need to use it anymore.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I truly have no clue, but I'm betting you look like a real bada** when you work out!

Could you borrow a heart rate monitor to get an idea? The calories burned counts in FitDay and other sites, and even on machines in the gym, are not always accurate, and I found that by using a heart rate monitor that tracks calories burned, I got a very good feel for different things, enough so that I don't always need to use it anymore.
I do feel like one when I jog with them. Especially with the chains.

So your saying I can monitor the heart rate and enter in that info (along with time taken/ distance covered) and get an somewhat decent count for calories burned?

I'll have to go find a heart rate monitor at a sports store today.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

The one I have lets you input your gender, age, and weight into it, and there is a strap that goes around your chest (it sounds uncomfortable, but you forget it's there, really) that signals your heart rate to a transmitter that is usually on a watch you wear on your wrist. You push a button on that when you start working out and it keeps track of your heart rate and time elapsed. Based upon your heart rate and the time you spend working out, it calculates a calorie burn customized for your gender, weight, and age that displays on the watch face when you push a certain button. But unfortunately they aren't cheap; I used a gift certificate for mine last holidays. I have a Polar F6 and I really like it.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
The one I have lets you input your gender, age, and weight into it, and there is a strap that goes around your chest (it sounds uncomfortable, but you forget it's there, really) that signals your heart rate to a transmitter that is usually on a watch you wear on your wrist. You push a button on that when you start working out and it keeps track of your heart rate and time elapsed. Based upon your heart rate and the time you spend working out, it calculates a calorie burn customized for your gender, weight, and age that displays on the watch face when you push a certain button. But unfortunately they aren't cheap; I used a gift certificate for mine last holidays. I have a Polar F6 and I really like it.

I just purchased a "Timex T5G941 Heart Rate Monitor Watch" From Amazon.

Link: Amazon.com: Timex T5G941 Heart Rate Monitor Watch: Timex: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more

It was inexpensive and seems like it will do the job. Got some decent reviews too. Next week with free shipping, only 35$, woot!

I've been getting real excited to get going on this 10x more now then the past month now. This will help big time. Can't wait until I'm ready for the 50lb chain.

Do you (or anyone else) have any good websites for using heart rate calculations properly. A reference site, of sorts would be awesome.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Looks good, but I don't know what to tell you about a website for heart rate calculations. The monitor I have has a calories burned function so I just use that. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Your excitement's contagious...I feel like I should go for a jog!