Notices

Winter Running?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Question Winter Running?

I love running and lately I've been getting back into it. Unfortunately, I also live in the Midwestern United States. I wondered if there were any winter warriors out there who had any tips for running outdoors during the wintertime. I can expect an average of 8 inches or so on the ground during the middle of winter and some ice. The streets should be mostly clear.

As a sidenote, I unfortunately will not have the means to purchase a treadmill or gym membership, so those options are out.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Layers and gloves

I need to have running gloves in the wintertime (Nike brand), and I wear a long-sleeve t-shirt with a fleece jacket on top. I make sure my head's covered with either a hood or a headband over my ears. I look like a nerd, but who cares? I'll be interested to see what others say about snow!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Sortabadass (love your user name!)

I am in the same boat. I am currently running 3 times per week, 5K each time, except sometimes on Saturday mornings I do 6K. I am loving it! I live in Canada so we get a ton of snow here. We also have an amazing snow removal system in place so after a snow fall, there is usually only one, or on occasion 2 days, when it would be impossible to run outside.

While I have never run in the winter time, I have power-walked. Basically I purchase "winter" running shoes. My preference is the Asics Gel Trabuco. They have amazing support and cushion and have treads underneath to prevent slipping. Here is a link to the Asics site. ASICS America - Running - Women's Footwear - GEL-Trabuco® 13

Also it's important to get the right clothes. Be sure not to wear cotton as that will get wet when you sweat and not wick the moisture away from your skin so you will get very cold! I like Under Armour clothing. Under Armour® Performance Clothing, Shoes, and Accessories - Free shipping available

Be sure to layer and not overdress as you will sweat and even overheat. It's best to have a fuel belt with you too, so that you can stay hydrated.

All of these things cost a little but I have had my Winter gear for a few years so it's a great investment.

Here's a great article about it. Cold Weather Running - Cold Weather Running Safety Tips

Good luck!

Last edited by mtlgirl; 11-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

This will be my first winter running outside, too...last year I played tennis all winter and I used to layer up with thin silk tees under fleece, and I had a pair of running tights (Nike; I think I got them at Sports Authority) that were awesome and very warm. And lip balm!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Anything that is not cotton to wick away the sweat is a must. You can also wear running tights or lined running pants if its really windy and cold. I am right outside Chicago so I know all about the cold here. A hat, gloves, a few light layers and gloves usually is all I need for a run. After about 10 mins you warm up anyways and sometimes I even feel too hot but better be a little warm than getting frost bite!

My Brother in Law works for Adidas so I have a ton of stuff from them. Anything that has the Climacool in it, is what you are looking for. But any brand has their own version of it and you can get that too.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you all for your advice! Living up North it's easy to stay inside and hibernate until spring, and it is really inspirational to hear your tips for staying active in the snowy months.

I will defintely invest in some underarmor, running gloves, and good grippy winter running shoes, although I don't think I'm quite self confident enough to wear running tights yet.

mtlgirl - what is a fuel belt?

Thanks again, everyone! Stay warm!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sortabadass
mtlgirl - what is a fuel belt?
A fuel belt is simply a belt with a water bottle attached to it so you can stay hydrated. I have a really basic one that looks like this 10K 2-Bottle Belt

For this morning's run I was lucky we are having a mild day today and I ran a full 5k before work! But I am determined to keep running this winter. I'm sure it will help me enjoy it better. We're supposed to have a tough winter this year!

Have a great day!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
A fuel belt is simply a belt with a water bottle attached to it so you can stay hydrated. I have a really basic one that looks like this 10K 2-Bottle Belt!
I thought that was probably what it was, but I still held out hope that it somehow involved rockets. Hehe, the names for so many bits of exercise equipment sound like inventions from Calvin and Hobbs.

Congrats on your run! After the oppressively humid summer we had here, I'm actually looking forward to a nice, cold winter. Hopefully I feel the same way in a month or two.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Runner's World

Runner's world has a great log that you can use to keep track of your running. I love putting in my neighborhood runs to see how far I've gone. I run through parks, and school yards, so couldn't drive the routes to see my distance. If I was more tech savvy, I'd post the link, but just go to runnersworld.com and find "log". You can sign in once/month. I use it for keeping track of distances and routes, but you can do a lot more with it if you're into it.

One last thing - I need to make sure I have ~6 kleenex with me every time I run in the cold - otherwise I'm miserable.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
For this morning's run I was lucky we are having a mild day today and I ran a full 5k before work!
Nice!
I could only muster up a measly 1.33 mile run yesterday- my outdoor thermometer read 37*. That has been the coldest run for me yet, wearing shorts did not bother as much as breathing in the cold brisk air

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.