Notices

Fell Off The Wagon

Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM
FitDay Member

Default Fell Off The Wagon

This week I've really fell off the wagon. On November 2nd, last Friday, I weighed in at 190.6. The week previous to this I weighed 197.8. I have managed to gain back every pound I lost last week since last Friday, and it is only Wednesday. Just for some history, on April 16th/2010, I weighed 246.2. By August 27th, I was down to 217.2 pounds. As I said, on November 2nd I was down to 190.6. I've been generally doing an hour a day of cardio, strength training, and an average daily calorie intake of around 1800, though I've had days where my caloric intake is much higher(3000 calories or more) or less(less than 1800). I suffer from anxiety and depression, and pretty much every medication I'm on causes constipation and urinary retention, which really makes my weight fluctuate. This week, however, I've been drinking lots of coca cola, which is loaded with empty calories. I've also been eating a lot of unhealthy carbs, such as 350 calorie muffins and Kraft Dinner. I've also been really lax on my fitness routine. I've had some conflict with family, which I think set me off my fitness and healthy diet. Just feel really discouraged.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

sounds like you need to take a good dump. You may be retaining water as well. I doubt that you gained 7 pounds of fat in 5 days, if that's your concern.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-04-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with 01gt4.6, in order to gain 7 pounds of body weight in 5 days you would have to eaten 24,500 calories over your maintenance. (Since a pound of body weight correlates to approximately 3500 calories, 7lb times 3500 = 24,500.) You would have to have averaged 4900 surplus calories per day over your maintenance. That would be a serious binge. More likely this is food waste and water retention.

What ever the reason don't dwell, just move on. No one is perfect but stay focused on the long term. Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 AM
FitDay Member

Other than your recent slip, you done a great job of losing weight to date. It all depends on your prospective. You are way further throught the process than i am. I agree with the folks who posted earlier, its mostly water. i'd be very happy to be at 197.6. rather than where I am. One day at the time.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with what everyone says don't dwell on it and get back on the horse. Plus you cannot gain that much fat back that quickly, there are other reasons like the ones you pointed out for the weight gain.

The quote in my sig helps me with times like these, or also helps me avoid them.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:14 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
I agree with 01gt4.6, in order to gain 7 pounds of body weight in 5 days you would have to eaten 24,500 calories over your maintenance. (Since a pound of body weight correlates to approximately 3500 calories, 7lb times 3500 = 24,500.) You would have to have averaged 4900 surplus calories per day over your maintenance. That would be a serious binge. More likely this is food waste and water retention.

What ever the reason don't dwell, just move on. No one is perfect but stay focused on the long term. Hope this helps.
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and taking the time to reply to my post. I certainly haven't averaged 4900 plus calories per day over my maintenance. That would indeed be a serious binge. I think you are correct in that this is food waste and water retention, as I'm constipated and likely have some fluid retention as well. The problem with constipation and fluid retention are both caused by psychiatric medications that I am on.

Chris
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wowmademefat
Are you weighing yourself at the same time of the day? Might sound overly simple, but I can count on myself weighing 2-3 pounds less in the morning (after I pee of course) than when I head right to bed.

Also, I try to drink 3/4 a gallon of water a day and I find that it really helps to flush out the extra waste.

As for falling off the wagon, just win today. Don't worry about what happened last week or what might go on tomorrow. Win today. Plan your meals on this site for the entire day and just stick to it. That's what I've been doing (lost 41 pounds since June) and it really seems to work well for me.

Good luck!
I weigh myself once a week in the morning at the same time. It is at a Dietary/Exercise group I attend, similar to TOPS. My clothing, how much breakfast I ate, how hydrated I am, if I've had a BM, probably effect my weight reading from being accurate quite a bit. I suffer from chronic constipation as well as fluid retention, so my weight goes up and down a lot. Good for you for losing 41 pounds since June. That is really impressive. I've actually lost about 48-50 pounds since March. I have noticed that if I have a lot of fresh fruit on hand, I am less likely to fall for junk food. I do drink a lot of water now. I find it makes me often feel bloated though, because it often stays in my bladder a long time until I pea and get relief. I'm going to see my family physician on Monday, to see if there is anything I can do to get the constipation/fluid retention sorted out. Caffeine seems to work very well as a diuretic, but increases my anxiety and causes insomnia, so I really shouldn't be consuming any caffeine at all. Anyways, I'm actually off to work out now. Thanks for taking the time to reply to your post.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

I would suggest a glass of apple juice daily for the constipation. Might be an easy way to overcome the problem. My wife and I do foster care and we had a foster son that came to us with a prescription for polyethelyne-glyco (the same stuff that is in automobile anti-freeze) for constipation. Once he got apple juice on a daily basis he didn't need the prescription.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
I would suggest a glass of apple juice daily for the constipation. Might be an easy way to overcome the problem. My wife and I do foster care and we had a foster son that came to us with a prescription for polyethelyne-glyco (the same stuff that is in automobile anti-freeze) for constipation. Once he got apple juice on a daily basis he didn't need the prescription.
Thanks for the tip. I've never heard apple juice for constipation. I'm grocery shopping tomorrow and will give that a try. Laxatives make me very nauseous and often aren't even effective. Right now I've gone back to Metamucil daily and a stool softener. Hasn't been very effective though. Good for you for being foster parents by the way - takes a special type of person to do that.