Notices

No results

Old 10-30-2010, 03:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default No results

I recently started an exercise program along with counting calories, and my goal is to lose about 20 pounds. I haven't lost an ounce since I started! I eat about 1400 calories/ day and I'm 5'4 155lbs right now. Any encouragement or advice? I walk/jog for 45 min/day at least 3 days/week, and try to add in some resistance as well. Do I just need to work harder?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
FitDay Member

I had a similar experience when I started too. I lost 1.5 pounds in my first month! I was pretty discouraged but I just kept going and then the pounds finally started to come off. Believe it or not, lack of sleep can have a lot to do with weight loss. I didn't believe it at first but I was sleeping very badly at that time and once that improved so did my weight loss.

I also think that since you don't have that much to lose that it might be slower for you. You won't see results like on the Biggest Loser where contestants lose 10 pounds in a week! I bet if you stick with it, your body will definitely change for the better. A great thing to do is take your body measurements because resistance and jogging will definitely shrink you but might not show up on the scale.

As for the calories, you might want to consume a little more (check out your daily needs here Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs) and be sure that your protein intake is over 30%. That helped me a lot! I used to consume a higher percentage of carbs but when I changed the ratio in favor of protein, the pounds came off much more easily. Your muscles are fed by protein and the more you feed your muscles the more fat you will burn.

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work and you will get the results you want!

Last edited by mtlgirl; 10-31-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

Are you measuring/weighing everything? That made a big difference for me, that and making sure I get enough water, 64 oz min + 8 more for every 10 pounds you want to lose. I'm going to second the increase in protein, and maybe suggest 4 days of workout instead of 3.

Last edited by almeeker; 10-31-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys! I think I just needed a little motivation. I will try the protein thing...I tend to lean towards carbs (doesn't everyone?!). I really appreciate your thoughts!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default resistance helps

vbleess,
The protein is very important, and so is the resistance or weight training. I don't know your age, but I do know that as I've gotten older I MUST add weight training or it doesn't seem to accomplish much. The added muscle that you gain will burn more calories. Just don't give up!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

I am also 5'4" and was able very easy to go from 155lb to 148 during my first month of starting training. Now for one month I am swinging around 145-148. I keep with circuit training with TRX and some dumpbells 2-3 times a week as well as dancing class ones a week and some dancing during the weekend. but - no weight changes anymore.
The only change is - I am not running for 2 hours twice a week as I was doing during first month. I just can not do it anymore - I am too tired...
Good thing is - I lost about 5 inches around my waist and about an inch from hips and tights. COuld it be, that I am just replacing my fat with muscles???
Any way, I just blame the decreased cardio activities ... I will try to implement 30 min running during lunch break...
May be you just have to add some aerobics or turbo-kick to your workouts twice a week???
Old 11-03-2010, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Definitely do some strength training. Bodyweight exercises (Push ups, crunches, squats and lunges) work just fine if you don't have weights or gym access.

Also, stay away from alcohol if you indulge in it. It will slow your weight loss down. My sister lost her last few pounds by cutting out her daily "Rum and Diet" after work.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

You could always try mixing up your calories a bit. maybe try 1600 on one day and 1200 the next. Keep your body guessing. eat more on the days you exercise and less the days you don't. Also try to add it some fast sprints to your running. Just 30 seconds every few minutes, it really helps with the calorie burn.