Notices

Slow Metabolism

Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default Slow Metabolism

I have hypothyroidism and it is soooo hard for me to lose even a few pounds. I am actually a Lifetime Weight Watcher member as it was always easy for me to meet my goal weight. Not any more. Anyone else with this problem. I know it is not an excuse, but I need ideas to help me. I get so frustrated and want to quit but I think with Fitday I will be able to get on track. Thanks for any good advice!!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 PM
FitDay Member

I can't really offer much in the way of advice on a slow metabolism, but I'd like to say welcome aboard and good luck on your journey.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
FitDay Member

Yoga helps regulate hormones. There are specific moves you can find online that help with the thyroid. I also have a wonky thyroid that I'm not being medicated for right now, but I found with daily exercise and eating very clean I am able to lose weight. Especially the exercise. I can't seem to lose weight without it even if my diet is 100%.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NessaSonic
Yoga helps regulate hormones. There are specific moves you can find online that help with the thyroid. I also have a wonky thyroid that I'm not being medicated for right now, but I found with daily exercise and eating very clean I am able to lose weight. Especially the exercise. I can't seem to lose weight without it even if my diet is 100%.
I have started at a gym and am also in a water aerobics class and I am feeling so much better. I don't always see the scale move, but my clothes are a bit less tight. I am going to try more yoga moves. Thanks for the advice! This is so helpful and motivating.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NessaSonic
Especially the exercise. I can't seem to lose weight without it even if my diet is 100%.
You and I both. I could eat nothing but tuna and celery and not lose an ounce. My body hangs on to every morsel until it's forced to sweat.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

I also have a thyroid that doesnt work right even with medication. And it is VERY hard to lose no matter how well you stick to the plan.. exercise does help. I read somewhere that the 1st 10 minutes of any exercise is like a "warm up" and it's after those 1st 10 minutes that the body speeds itself up and starts burning calories/fat. So whatever you choose to do, do it more than 10 minutes.

Have you had your doctor check your thyroid levels lately? I have to have mine checked about every 2 months because it changes and we have to re-adjust medication.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
I also have a thyroid that doesnt work right even with medication. And it is VERY hard to lose no matter how well you stick to the plan.. exercise does help. I read somewhere that the 1st 10 minutes of any exercise is like a "warm up" and it's after those 1st 10 minutes that the body speeds itself up and starts burning calories/fat. So whatever you choose to do, do it more than 10 minutes.

Have you had your doctor check your thyroid levels lately? I have to have mine checked about every 2 months because it changes and we have to re-adjust medication.
I do take synthroid and do see my doctor on a regular basis. With the low dose I am on it does show normal counts. I will be stepping up the exercise and I think the strengthening excercises with free weights is helping me boost my metabolism. It's just not as fast as I want it to be .