Community
Notices

NO STOPPING US! in NOVEMBER 100+

Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default NO STOPPING US! in NOVEMBER 100+

I figured I would start this today so it is here for tomorrow.

November can be a tough month with the holidays revving up but we have the ability to stay on track and get through this time!

Maybe people can share their survival tips, tricks and plans ( we have 3 weeks to plan ahead) and maybe we can help each other make it through Thanksgiving.

Happy November!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks gamegal, LOVE the new name BTW.

I think for Thanksgiving I'm going to go very very light for the days leading up to it, and then I'm going to have a small bit of everything on the holiday (and hopefully my stomach will be a little shrunken and fill up faster?). I'm also going to attempt a healthier version of pumpkin pie, somewhat based on my MIL's pumpkin custard pie, poured into an almond meal crust. We'll see.

For Christmas cookies I bought some really tiny cookie cutters, and instead of frosting maybe we'll glaze them? I dunno yet. We also make chocolates, which will probably KILL me.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

GameGal, excellent thread name! I'm looking forward to the next few months, they'll be challenging but fun.

I'm having family over next weekend for a belated Canadian Thanksgiving and looking forward to having some healthy treats for everyone. I'm making my bruschetta that nearly sets your mouth on fire with garlic. Finely diced tomatoes, green onion, red onion, garlic with a bit of olive oil and a bit of parm cheese. I let flavours blend overnight and serve with rice crackers and sometimes tortilla scoops (the worst part of it). My DD loves it.

I love to bake at Christmas time homemade cookies and bottles of wine for most of our friends and family. To make things easier I bake cookies that are tasty without frosting, pop them into little cello bags, into a big ziploc bag and then in the freezer. I started doing up cookie gift baskets when my DD was little and money was very scarce. Now some friends go into cookie withdrawal if we forget to bring cookies. Keeping them in the freezer keeps me out of the cookies.

Take Care all,
Old 10-31-2010, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Oooooh I LOVE bruschetta!!! I make it with cherry tomatoes (quartered), pine nuts, olive oil, a drop of lime juice, garlic garlic garlic, red onion, fresh parsley, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, shredded parm, and fresh rosemary. YUMMMMM!!! In the past I've always served it over toasted bread drizzled with olive oil, but now I've gotten rave reviews by serving it over toasted whole wheat slim buns.

We also started doing the cookie gift due to budgetary reasons, but now it's like a tradition with the kiddos at the helm. One thing we do now that is great great fun and doesn't lead to extra calories for me is gingerbread houses. I don't really care for gingerbread, so I can bake it for days and never gain an ounce. Now the frosting and candies on it are a whole 'nother issue... One thing I've started doing more and more often is finishing baked goods with something other than frosting. Lately I've been lightly dusting brownies with powdered sugar or powdered sugar + bakers chocolate instead of frosting (if you do this right when they are hot out of the oven it actually makes a bit of a crust which is subtle but perfect). And gingerbread men only get dots of frosting and raisins for eyes and buttons. I'm thinking about trying to alter some of our usual recipes so they are lower in fat and calories, and higher in protein. We always make sour cream cutter cookies, but I'm thinking of using Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream and replacing some of the flour with whole wheat and buck wheat flours. I might even be able to cut the sugar in half and use a drizzle of maple syrup. We'll see, sometimes our kitchen is more like a chemistry lab than a food preparation area.

Last edited by almeeker; 10-31-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 AM
FitDay Member

I love this month's title! I can't believe it is already November though. Maybe this month will go a little bit slower than October did.

Since joining FitDay at the end of September I have lost 12.2 lbs. I am starting November at 215.8. I will be so happy just seeing the # under 200.

For those of you ladies that eat tuna, how do you prepare it. I know fresh is much better but I always have a can of tuna on hand. Before my weight loss attempt I would mix a can with mayo, pickles, and boiled eggs. I never counted the calories but I know that it has to be a little too high. I am trying to find healthier ways to enjoy the tuna. I am not much on eating it plain. Any suggestions?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

I like to mix a can of tuna with a teaspoon each of Light ff Miracle Whip, pickle relish and spicy mustard, which adds about 20 calories (give or take), I've also used ff salad dressing like Zesty Italian or Ranch. Then I usually spread it on a whole wheat Slim Bun, 8 grain Slimwich or on Special K crackers. Y'all are making me hungry....
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fell off the wagon...

Well, I fell off the wagon and gained back almost 3 lbs. However, the whole entire month of Oct. was pretty much off the wagon, so I guess it could be worse.
My father passed away in the middle of Oct, unexpectedly. Since then, I have done nothing but eat- I know- I am depressed. So yesterday I started back with recording what I was eating, and I am getting myself back on the wagon. I know my dad would not want me to just give up on everything!
I am tired all the time, and I'm sure that is partly because I'm drained emotionally, and partly because I am eating CRAP! I haven't been to the gym all month either. *sigh*.
I'm a bit disappointed in myself because I am not where I wanted to be by now. I was hoping to be at 313 by Halloween, and then see the 200's into the new year. however, on the bright side, i am almost 40 lbs less than I was 3.5 months ago. Also, I have made a habit of weighing myself daily and although I have let myself gain a few lbs here and there, I am have learned to take control after a 5 lbs gain.
I know I can get back on track and see 313 (a 50 lb loss) sooner rather than later!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

CD, I am so sorry for your loss. Forgive yourself any emotional eating and please don't beat yourself up for the scale not reading exactly the number that you wanted it to. I hope that getting yourself back on the wagon will give you something positive to focus on, and I wish you good thoughts.
Hello to everyone; I don't post so much but I do check in here and there. You all are doing so well and continue to inspire and motivate me. Here's to a great November!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=changeisgood29;24249]CD, I am so sorry for your loss. Forgive yourself any emotional eating and please don't beat yourself up for the scale not reading exactly the number that you wanted it to.QUOTE]

Thanks change, I am glad I was able to rangle in the emotional eating though, because it was getting out of hand (soda, chocolate, candy, brownies, ice cream, fast food). I can't believe I only gained 3 lbs.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

CD I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I had wondered where you had gone to. I am glad you are back with us, and that you recognize what you have been doing and are ready to get back on the bandwagon!

You know we are all here to help support you in any way we can. Welcome home!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.