Notices

Fat Content

Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
FitDay Member

Question Fat Content

Im 182 and trying to loose 40 pounds. I just started exercising this week and using the fitday to count my calories and other stuff. It shows me how many calories I can have in a day but does anyone know how much fat you should have in a day? Today I have had 1,073 calories and 64.4g of fat. I'm really afraid that is too much fat. Appreciate anyone's help.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Hi belinda

There really is no right answer to your question. The ways people chose to lose range, according to folks who post here, from someone who ate no more than ten grams of fat a day to people who include up to 40 or 50% of their daily calories from fat. In the latter case, I believe they focus on good fats...monounsaturated ones, as opposed to saturated fats. There are low fat diets and then there are the low carb diets that are higher in fat. Nothing is right or wrong; it's all about what works for you. Splitting hairs further, some advocate a higher percentage of fats and emphasize healthy fats (like from nuts, fish, avocados, olive oil, etc.); others don't agree with the contention that saturated fat leads to heart problems and high cholesterol and are therefore less discriminating about the type of fat they eat. If you ask 100 people, you will likely get 100 different answers. The FDA or whatever agency's recommendation is no more than 30% of calories from fat...but that is also subject to a lot of factors, including possibly outdated science and influence of various lobbying agencies. So it's definitely not simple!

If you really want an answer from someone, you could ask your doctor. Otherwise, I would advise you to educate yourself...google it, read various positions, then think about what you can live with. I know for me personally, I can't stomach a lot of fatty foods, even the good ones, so if I get to 20, 25%, I'm lucky. Others are different. The best diet for you is actually a lifestyle that you can live with. Try a few different things based on what you read and hear, and learn to listen to your body and you will know what works for you when you find yourself feeling your best.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 10-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 PM
FitDay Member

Good answer Cassie!
I personnally don't worry about my fat intake. Since most of my calories are from whole foods and the olive oil I cook with I know the fat I am eating is healthy fat. My percentages come out to about 30% Protein, 30% carbs and 40% fat.

Fat (contrary to what the diet industry would have you believe) is not the enemy. Fat is necessary for nueral function and nutrient transfer. Fat has also been shown to have a satiating effect on hunger. I believe that is why so many fail at a low fat diet. Fats dark side is that it contains about 9 calories per gram compared to 4 calories per gram for both protein and carbohydrates. So there is always the danger of consuming a large amount of calories from a small portion.

Instead of focusing on fat I try to restrict my simple carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, sugar, etc..). Simple carbs are actually easier for your body to store as fat than converting dietary fat into fat stores.

Bottom line is you need to find what works best for you and what you can sustain long term.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:44 AM
FitDay Member

thank you so much for the advice. I'm feeling a little better about all this especially counting calories, first time I've ever done it. One thing I wish fitday had on it was a sugar tracker. I think I noticed it though in the overview, have to go back and look. I'm down half a pound so trying to get to my first 2 pound weight loss by the end of this week. Love this forum...keeps me motivated .
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
FitDay Member

it's good to see that people aren't afraid of fat! It gets so tiring hearing people only talk about fat in their foods and not realizing that fat DOES fit into a healthy diet. Hopefully that whole fad dies out fast!