Notices

Recovering from Eating Disorder

Old 10-09-2010, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default Recovering from Eating Disorder

Hey I wanted to get away from unhealthy dieting and body image, cause I constantly struggle with how I view myself, and I just wanted to find something to replace the pro-eating disorder chat rooms.

I want to focus more on maintaining weight and being happy when I've reached a reasonable weight instead of wanting to lose more and more. By doing this I am really hoping to overcome my binging episodes, which spirals down into a vicious cycle.

My long term goal is only 5 lbs of weight loss. I will still be within my ideal weight range for my height, and I will also feel happy at that weight.

Anyone else going through the same or similar thing, lets help each other out!
And give each other GOOD TIPS, no ridiculous crappy starvation for fasting tips.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know your story or your stats, but I'm wondering if it might be healthier for you to concentrate on maintaining where you are at and working on developing a healthy relationship with food? It's so easy to get caught up in the "if I only lost xx pounds, then I would be happy with myself" mentality, especially if you have a history of eating disorders. Will losing 5 pounds really make you happy with yourself or will you just have to lose another 5 pounds to *really* be happy? aAnd so on and so on... Truly learning what a "maintenance diet" is for you, and how you should be eating to maintain a healthy body is one of the most important things you can do to develop a healthy relationship with food instead of always focusing on weight loss.

Again, I don't really know where you are coming from weight-wise, but I think everyone can benefit from practicing eating "normally" to maintain your weight in a healthy way. Most importantly, you are a wonderful and beautiful person just the way you are, no matter what you think you see in the mirror. You deserve love and respect from everyone, including yourself!

Best wishes on your journey.

Edited to add: I hope this didn't come off as being judgmental. I was just worried when I saw your title "Recovering from Eating Disorder" and that you wanted to lose weight. I completely applaud your commitment to getting away from the unhealthy habits and fully support that idea!

Last edited by zootnarf; 10-10-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Edited for clarification
Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Naturally Thin!

Finally! Someone else has discovered for herself that diets never never never work as a permanent solution. I was like you, 20 years ago, and now I've been Naturally Thin without dieting for all that time. I highly recommend you read HOW TO BECOME NATURALLY THIN BY EATING MORE or BREAKING OUT OF FOOD JAIL by Jean Antonello, R.N., B.S.N. These books can be found on Amazon. Good luck! Being diet-free is a huge blessing! After you read either of these, you will make a paradigm shift in your whole thinking about food AND you will (eventually) be Naturally Thin, eating as much as your body needs and never starving yourself or overexercising.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks for the support

Thanks, and I understand how you would be a little concerned. But no, I'm focusing on just listening to my body and the healthy stuff.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

Hey there. I'm so glad that you found this site as opposed to the pro-eating disorder chat rooms. Stay as far away from those as you can! I hope you'll be much happier and successful here.

I had a similar situation and a BIG realization about a month ago, you can read about it at my blog here: Quitting My Day Job: Advice

Best wishes!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

I am ashamed to say that I have been pulled into the pro eating disorder websites. I have been struggling with they way that I see myself/body ever since I quit gymnastics a year ago. It seems like every time that I lose weight and become happy with it, I start getting used to that image and want to lose more weight.
I am trying to listen more to my what my body needs in a healthier way, if anyone has gone through a similar situation I would love to hear any of your advice.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

Read the book "Breaking Out of Food Jail" or "How to Become Naturally Thin by Eating More" by Jean Antonello, R.N., B.S.N. You CAN overcome this, don't let anyone tell you it is impossible!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
FitDay Member

telling someone to "read books is a simple nice approach to not connecting with the person on the other end." it is one thing to make the comment more personal but i think what would help people like her the most is what was suggested by zoot. i also think these 2 people have it right to listen to what there bodies want over what there eyes see in the mirror. i was not diagnosed but i consider myself to have a reverse Eating disorder of sorts. in short for a long time 28 years i simply "liked to eat" and hated any form of exercise. now in my early 30's i needed my own shift in thought so i simply did it. i track what i eat better than before and try to keep it under 2500 kcals but never to pressed for one way or the other. i also exercise more then i have and will continue too.

What is important more then most for those recovering from any form of body dismorpha (sp?) is to realize there is something wrong with how the see them selfs not in what they see. For ED recovery counting to much could re-trigger them i would suggest talking with a registered dietitian and personal trainer in your area's to both set up a healthier eating habit and life plan as well has a safe workout routine to help your body natural recover from any negative of your eating disorder.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

hharding11: I venture to say you've probably already gone the dietitian and trainer route. I've been where it sounds like you are and I only offer these books as resources that helped me recover when I thought there was no way out of the trap of dieting. I'm here to say you CAN be healthy, fit, and comfortable in your body... and slender... without starvation diets. I wish you well in your search for solutions.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Default My own website on beauty.

hharding111: I know exactly how you feel, I'll lose a few pounds, and then get used to the way a look, and then find more areas of my body to work on, and then lose more. I also think losing weight is fun, like I think it's fun to see how much I can lose, or I'm just interested in what I would look like 5 lbs smaller. If that makes sense. I can't say I'm fully in the right state of mind. I'll always want to be skinny, and I'll probably always want to lose weight, that's just the way I am I think.

BUT... I am determined to lose weight healthily if I do choose to lose weight. Not by binging/purging or starving.

If you've been on those pro-ana websites, you'll know that they do 'thinspiration' and bad tips. I created my own website. I'd love for it to catch on because I think it's a lot better than pro ana websites, and I know not everyone will agree with my idea of beauty but I am proud of it. It's called

sizelittle.weebly.com

It's my own version of a healthy website and my own idea of beauty. I think I'm still technically ednos (eating disorder not otherwise specified). But I won't go to etreme lengths to lose weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.