Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
calorie count 4 fried potatoes please! >

calorie count 4 fried potatoes please!

Community
Notices

calorie count 4 fried potatoes please!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default calorie count 4 fried potatoes please!

Yes, I know they are bad for me, but occasionally I like to eat a cubed potato thats fried on olive oil. Heres my question: How on earth do I calculate the calories? I mean, if I use 1/8 cup of olive oil to fry them in, Im not including the whole 1/8 of a cup because Im not eating ALL that oil! Im only eating the amount thats absorbed by the potatoes. So... how much is that?

Thanks in advance,

Kris
Old 10-19-2010, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

This is not an exact science. Some times you need to guesstimate. How much of the oil is left in the pan when you are done? Half, a third? Since 1/8 cup = 1oz just change the measurement in the food log to oz then use a decimal for the amount the potatoe soaked up (.5, .33, .67, etc..). .5oz will be about 125 calories.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

I always take the amount I used, and divide it by the number of servings.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

Measure the oil you start with. Measure the oil left in the pan. The difference is the oil you will be eating with the potatoes. Can't cheat with this - the oil is going into your body via your mouth whether you measure it or not. So you may as well know the accurate amount!

(Suggestion: cook the diced potatoes in a pan of water, not to cover, just half-way up the depth of the potatoes. Cook the water and potatoes until the water is nearly evaporated. Then add some oil, but much less than you would normally use. Measure it but you will be eating all that oil and it will be less, let's hope!)