View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

I like the three rules Nik has in his signature. For me I restrict my 'simple' carbohydrates like white breads, pasta, sugar and processed foods. Instead I eat whole grain products fruit and vegetables. (I have substituted and cut back on the amounts.) I believe most of your calories should come from whole foods but if you can't keep your protein intake where you want then protein shakes are a healthy supplement. I try to keep my protein around 30% of my calories. I don't worry about my fat intake as I know it is all either from whole foods or the olive oil I cook with.

I have taken the approach that this is a long term lifestyle change for me and nothing (even french fries) are forbidden. But I also now understand the calorie baggage of foods and so I limit my consumption of these high calories foods. This way I haven't denied myself anything and I am happy with my choices that help me be a healthier person.

As I have posted before, if you think you can diet and exercise short term then return to your old ways without ballooning back to your current weight then you really haven't thought this through. You need a long term plan that you can live with to be at that lighter healthier weight.

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote