Notices

Artificial sweeteners

Old 01-24-2010, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Question Artificial sweeteners

Hi,

I realized about a year ago that I was allergic to Aspartame. I had a severe rash on my shin - nowhere else - just the shin; a very itchy localized rash that would act up, just about vanish, then act up again. I went to my doctor numerous times over the years, and after trying all kinds of ointments, nothing worked. It was so severe at one point that he biopsied it, but the results did not indicate anything.

So I finally discovered myself it was the soda pop because I used to drink alot of diet soda, and after I quit drinking it (about a year ago), the rash disappeared. Perhaps it could be some other chemical in pop...but I am guessing it is the Aspartame.

Now, I am starting to wonder if I am also allergic to Sucralose. Have recently started eating more yogurt. Have been buying the low fat yogurt, making sure it is the aspartame free type (but it contains quite alot of Sucralose). I eat this nearly every day. I also noticed some of the granola bars I have purchased also contain Sucralose....and ya, the rash is back. These artificial sweeteners are hidden in alot of products!

My goal is to eat naturally, less processed/chemical laden food - so maybe this is really a blessing in disguise! Perhaps I would just be better off with the full fat, all natural yogurt and homemade granola bars sweetened with honey?

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this type of sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, or processed foods?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

I haven't had the same reaction, although too much aspertame will bring on migraines. I am trying to stick to sucralose. However, I am going to try and eliminate that too, eventually! So the more natural options are Stevia, Maple Syrup, Honey. I don't know how maple syrup will taste in coffee though!! LOL!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

You both really need to go thru and read these 2 web sites .They are ver informative and they do talk about aspartame and migraines,I truely believe they will help both of you out.

MSG Sources

Topics - Battling the MSG Myth
Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much basscat, I will go and check out those websites!

Additives of all kinds can really play havoc with a person's health and they seem to be everywhere. I truly do believe it is best to avoid them as much as possible. Now that I am tracking my food so closely it will be much easier to monitor what is 'triggering' the reaction. Trying to eat as naturally as possible too.

lol Maple syrup in coffee...that might be interesting!?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

I did some reading on those website, thanks for posting them. Sounds like, for some people at least, MSG is just awful! I will start checking labels for it.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
FitDay Member

I am highly alergic to MSG although if youre looking for it on labels just remember that if its not 100% Monosodium Glutimate then they legally dont have to list it.What they will do is use word phrases such as whey protein,whey protein isolate,natural flavors,spice,spices,natural spices,smoke,maltodextrin,anything soy,soy lethecin Etc.Almost all food produced now has this excitotoxin in it,and I believe this is a major contributor why the majority of americans are overweight and people get excessive migraine headaches.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by basscat348
I am highly alergic to MSG although if youre looking for it on labels just remember that if its not 100% Monosodium Glutimate then they legally dont have to list it.What they will do is use word phrases such as whey protein,whey protein isolate,natural flavors,spice,spices,natural spices,smoke,maltodextrin,anything soy,soy lethecin Etc.Almost all food produced now has this excitotoxin in it,and I believe this is a major contributor why the majority of americans are overweight and people get excessive migraine headaches.

Awesome websites Basscat, thanks so much, again.

I agree with what you said. I know so many people with chronic migraines. It is sad that it is so hard to avoid these chemicals and that the ingredients listings can be so deceptive. I didn't realize the msg was potentially connected to ADD; but it makes sense. Alot of people eat loads of processed foods every day, particularly kids.

Another issue is the hormones given to livestock; they are particularly high in beef. I think it is a good idea to know where your meat and produce originates from or buy 'farm direct' whenever possible.

I am even more motivated to eat naturally now!!!! Going to really analyze any processed foods that I purchase.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Shell250
Awesome websites Basscat, thanks so much, again.

I agree with what you said. I know so many people with chronic migraines. It is sad that it is so hard to avoid these chemicals and that the ingredients listings can be so deceptive. I didn't realize the msg was potentially connected to ADD; but it makes sense. Alot of people eat loads of processed foods every day, particularly kids.

Another issue is the hormones given to livestock; they are particularly high in beef. I think it is a good idea to know where your meat and produce originates from or buy 'farm direct' whenever possible.

I am even more motivated to eat naturally now!!!! Going to really analyze any processed foods that I purchase.
I hope it helps you out.I totally agree with you on the beef issue as well , and I am looking into buying direct as well.I kind of find it strange only to be able to eat a very few select foods LOL my list of foods to eat has shrunkin (is that even a word) alot in the past few months but I do feel alot better now.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

> You both really need to go thru and read these 2 web sites

I've read some of the stuff on these websites and they've convinced me that they are typical 'conspiracy theory' sites.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rmnsuk
> You both really need to go thru and read these 2 web sites

I've read some of the stuff on these websites and they've convinced me that they are typical 'conspiracy theory' sites.

They are not conspircy theory sites.Are you allergic msg or know anyone who is ? We'll I am and it can cause serious effects to the human body.My dad just had to have a quadruple bypass because of this stuff so dont tell me its a conspiracy.Its gives me heart palpatations and it gave my dad a heart attack.If you dont have a problem with msg thats great , but there are alot of people out thare that do and alot more that dont even know it and need help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.