View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 View Post
trust your mirror... NOT YOUR SCALE!
I agree with 01gt4.6. Many people get too pre-occupied with the number on the scale and they forget that what is really important is how comfortable they are about their looks and health. Over on the Bodybuilding.com site many talk about how they were 'skinny fat' before starting weight lifting. Meaning that they were technically in a healthy weight range but lacked strength, muscle definition and form.

I personnally place little stock in BMI measurements. BMI does not account for frame or musculature. So two men of the same height and weight would have the same BMI but one could be obese and the other an amatuer bodybuilder. If you track BMI over time all it can tell you is if you have lost or gained weight (assuming you have already acheived your mature height).

When using any of the methods for determining bodyfat percentage (until reaching #5) remember that your measurment may not correlate to the same measurement on someone else. Meaning that you may not look as cut at 12% as someone else. That said it is still a great way to track your own progress. So if your body fat percentage is going down and the scale is going up you can be assured you are gaining muscle and losing fat.

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote