Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Nutrition & labeling
Folates or folic acid?   IU vs mcg or mg? >

Folates or folic acid? IU vs mcg or mg?

Community
Notices

Folates or folic acid? IU vs mcg or mg?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
FitDay Member

Question Folates or folic acid? IU vs mcg or mg?

I'm a recently diagnosed diabetic getting into the nutrition game for the first time. Have a couple of questions. (also kind of new to the Internet, so please excuse any goof ups in that regard too)
I see folates on some nutrition labels, but not on our list of nutrients, shouldn't they be?
I'm confused by the nutrition labels for some vitamins that show IUs and micro - or milligrams. There doesn't seem to be any consistency between how many iUs there are per mg. Is there a way to translate one into the other?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
FitDay Member

Default IU to mg

In pharmacology, the International Unit is a unit of measurement for the amount of a substance, based on measured biological activity or effect. "International Unit" is abbreviated as IU. It is an old measurement of vitamin activity determined by biological methods as opposed to new measures that are determined by direct chemical analysis.

Many health foods and supplements still use i.u. ( IU ).

For Vitamin A, 1 i.u. = 0.3µg retinol, 3.6µg b-carotene, or 7.2µg other vitamin A carotenoids
For Vitamin D, 1 i.u. = 0.025µg cholecalciferol
For Vitamin E, 1 i.u. = 0.67µg natural a-tocopherol (different conversion factors are used for different forms of vitamin E)
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

I was wondering why there was no folic acid in the nutrient list too. Any possibility that it may added? I'd really like to track it, as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KatD13
I was wondering why there was no folic acid in the nutrient list too. Any possibility that it may added? I'd really like to track it, as well.

This would be a good request to post in the Beta thread.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-beta/

There's already other requests there for sugar etc. but I haven't seen folic acid.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

I sent along an omnibus request. Good suggestion...