Notices

Weight Loss Success...All Due to FitDay...

Old 09-30-2010, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Weight Loss Success...All Due to FitDay...

I'm posting this for two reasons...first, I have lost 103 pounds in 22 months & its all due to FitDay, and second, I have RARELY counted calories, recorded foods eaten or activities 18 months. I suspect there have to be other folk out here like me who just could never deal with living a life where so much of my time was spent focusing on and recording what foods I put in my mouth, and perhaps they could benefit from my experience.

I have a severe thyroid problem, as well as skeletal/muscular problems that prevent exercise. With my thyroid issues, I have been told for years that I should never let myself be hungry if trying to diet because that would further reduce my thyroid's efficiency. So...that said, here is my story.

On Nov 1, 2008 my ortho surgeon told me that every pound of weight translated to 10 pounds of pressure on an ankle. That meant that MY ankles were carrying 2,810 pounds of pressure with every step...and I had a torn tendon... I vowed to see if there was any way I could lose weight. I had not been below 200 pounds since 1985, but in the previous year I had gained about 20 pounds....so...

I found fitday.com and bought a scale. I began my weight loss attempt on Nov 11 at 281 pounds. For 3 months I recorded everything. I was spending over an hour every day recording food, looking food up, recording activities etc. I'd record throughout the day & if I found myself hungry & didn't want to add more calories for the day, I chowed down bags of carrots &/or dill pickles. I purchased a book called "Eat This, Not That", and used it religiously when I went out to eat. I would spend another 30 minutes a day reviewing my previous week or more of food intakes and getting a handle on what 'reasonable' intake looked like in various situations. Doing this would also make me look at days where I had felt hungrier than others and what they had in common, etc. (For example I learned that for me, if I ate 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast for breakfast, I was rarely hungry that day until dinner time) During those 3 months I lost 35 pounds, but more importantly, I retrained my habits.

It takes a minimum of 21 days to break or develop a habit, and I had some I didn't even realize. First, I stopped eating at the computer. Second, I trained myself to pay attention to packaging calories and portion sizes. And 3rd, I retrained my perspective on what was, and was not, 'too much food'.

For the 2nd 3 months, I would record daily foods about once a week & weigh myself about as often. I promised myself that if I saw a weight gain of 3 or more pounds, I would immediately revert back to my first 3 month plan and record everything etc. It never happened. During the 2nd 3 months, I only lost 13 pounds, but I was also out of town & on the road for 3/4 of that time. And 6 months into it, I had lost 48 pounds & had successfully changed the way I was eating.

After those first 6 months, I found myself paying attention to what I had eaten already for the day when I was selecting something to eat. It had become a habit. I weighed myself every week - 10 days & as long as my weight had not increased, I was satisfied. I didn't even think about losing weight, because over time I saw that even if I plateaued for 2-3 weeks, suddenly there would be a 4-6 pound drop.

During my 2nd 6 months I lost 28 pounds, or a little over a pound a week with virtually no effort put into it. In fact there were a few times where I was SURE I had been overeating for a few days but would get on the scale and see either no change or a loss. My perspective had changed, thanks to FitDay and my religiously following the instructions/program for 90 days.

I lost 76 pounds the first year, and an additional 28 pounds in the last 10 months. I reached my goal weight somewhere around Sept 1, & am not sure if I will continue to lose or stay the same. I do not intend to change my habits, or my attitude regarding food, and I will continue to weigh myself every week or so. If I gain over a couple of pounds, I will put effort into monitoring myself for a week & see what happens.

So for any of you who are like me, who finds the word dieting curdles in your mouth...who doesnt have time or energy to count points, count calories...who lives a lifestyle where meals can be unpredictable and many times you find yourself forced to rely on 'fast foods'...perhaps working to retrain yourself...to understand your body needs and foods you eat more thoroughly....changing your habits... could work for you as well.

I know that FitDay gave me the foundation of learning that has allowed me to lose over 100 pounds with very little effort. I suspect that if my thyroid functions were anywhere near normal, I would have lost that much in way less than 22 months, but I'm still pleased.

Thank you to the FitDay staff for providing this free tool that has made such a difference for me.

peace

Wolf

----------------------------------------------
started: Nov 11th 2008
Starting weight: 281 lbs
Goal weight: 180 lbs
Starting pant & shirt sizes - 44" waist, XXXL shirt
May 1, 2009 weight: 236 lbs - 45# lost, 40" waist
Aug 20, 2009 weight 220 lbs - 61# lost, 38" waist, XL shirt
Feb 15, 2010 weight 201 lbs - 80# lost, 36" waist, L shirt
May 27, 2010 weight 189 lbs - 92# lost, 34" waist, M-L shirt
Sept 14, 2010 weight 179 lbs - 102# lost, 33" waist, S-M shirt
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for your story! It is very inspiring.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Tremendous! Congratulations!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
FitDay Member

Wow love reading posts like yours. Congratulations. I know FitDay has helped me.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

Awesome job! Thanks for taking the time to post. Your story's inspiring for countless others.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations Wolf!! Thanks for the success story!