Notices

Your daily meal plan

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Your daily meal plan

I am new to FitDay and I am looking for different meal ideas.

I would like to hear some of your ideas on what you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I work during the week so what kind of food would be quick and easy but also healthy.

Thanks for all your ideas!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
FitDay Member

For breakfast I like something toasted, usually a slimwich, slim bagel, slim bun or 35 calorie bread. I usually put something high protein on the toast, like tuna, cottage cheese, rf cheese, rf peanut butter, ff cream cheese etc etc. I also have a piece of fruit, usually a banana and some coffee with chocolate protein powder, call it a muscle mocha. I only get the protein powder if I put in a solid workout, because otherwise I can't afford the calories. Another thing I like for breakfast is Greek yogurt with a little homemade low-sugar freezer jam stirred in or some frozen blueberries. I shoot for 400-500 calories, and maybe 15-25 grams of protein and some caffeine.

For lunch I'm all about salads and/or leftovers. I shoot for about 300 calories, with a min of 10 grams of protein. I generally have an afternoon snack, but it varies, but I usually try to keep it at 200 calories or less and hopefully it has some protein in it.

We have 3 kids and I hardly have time to cook 1 meal let alone 2, so I look for meals that are healthy, low-cal and kid friendly. Some of my faves are chili, tacos (the fam gets tacos and I make a taco salad), chicken or beef stew (crock pot), omelets, grilled chicken, broiled fish (sometimes the kids get fish sticks, but not always), chicken, pork or beef stir fry (I only take 1/2 cup rice), grilled steak, whole wheat pasta prima vera (lots of veggies, not so much pasta).

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I gotta go put kids to bed.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

One of my favorite 'diet' foods are eggs. I usually have two scrambled for breakfast almost everyday. Add some salsa for variety. Lunches are usually left over meat from the previous night. (Grilled chicken, pork, steak or just lean hamburger with some worsterchire sauce and no bun.) I eat a lot of carrot sticks for lunch. I try to eat at least one piece of fruit, usually a peach, orange or banana with lunch also.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

I work and usually eat breakfast at my desk. I keep a big tub of oatmeal (quick or regular) in my drawer with raisins. I just get hot water and make it. You could also keep nuts, applesauce, brown sugar, maple syrup or cinnamon to make it more interesting. I use a 1/4 cup measure as a scoop so that I know how much I am making.

I also pour frozen fruit into a container before I leave the house and top it with plain yogurt. By the time I eat it mid-morning the fruit has melted and it makes a good sauce for the yogurt. It also keeps the yogurt cold.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. I went to the store and stocked the frig at work with cottage cheese, yogurt, and carrot sticks. I plan on adding new items each week. It really helped me stay out of their unhealthy snack cabinet!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow

This is kind of a modified South Beach approach, but:

Breakfast: two scrambled eggs with low fat cheese sometimes some chopped onions, tomatoes, or mushrooms, with turkey bacon or other piece of meat (small steak, pork loin, etc.). If in a rush, toasted nine-grain bread with natural (no sugar) peanut butter.

Snack around 10AM: almonds or maybe an apple

Lunch: Salad with chicken or salmon, or chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato and avocado. Maybe last night's meat leftovers with rice and broccoli.

Snack around 3PM: Greek yogurt with berries mixed in (strawberries, raspberries or blueberries).

Dinner: pretty much anything that has meat or seafood, veggies, starch = brown rice or sweet potatoes, or whole wheat pasta (no white potatoes, semolina pasta, bread or other simple carbs), a glass of red wine and fruit or sugar free jello/pudding for dessert if I want it.

Evening snack: rarely want one but go for peanut butter, cheese or apple.

I am full all the time, don't crave anything, and have lost weight (see below).

==========================================
Height: 6 ft. 6 in.
Starting Weight: 250 pounds (8-07-2010)
Current Weight: 222 pounds (10-01-2010)
Goal: 215 pounds (12-31-10)
Old 10-01-2010, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

I'm doing kind of a very low-carb deal - which is working awesome for me (which really matters more to me then the science or politics of it.)

I'm not sure I would say this is necessarily "healthy", but I feel good, I am losing weight quickly and my tests all come back either normal or better then normal at their last check.

Breakfast: Kroger "CarbMaster" "Yogurt" with a handfull of walnuts mixed in
Lunch: 2 chicken breasts, handfull of peppers and onions, Tofu Shirataki fettuccini stir-fried in olive oil and spiced with red pepper flakes and garlic
Dinner: Grilled 10 oz Ribeye and a fresh vegetable or salad
Snacks: Green tea, herbal tea, black tea, almonds, string cheese, mint water, jerky or spicy pork rinds.

I also take a whole bunch of vitamins to try and fill in the obvious dietary gaps.

I suppose "healthy" is also relative - this is a whole bunch better then I used to eat.

String cheese, almonds and jerky work well as "on-the-go" snacks - or meals sometimes if I get busy or forget to eat. A string cheese in my desk drawer seems perfectly ok all day without refrigeration.

I pretty much eat the same thing every day - variety is, since I started low-carb, not real important to me.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 PM
FitDay Member

I love mushrooms as an alternative to eating tons of meat or dairy products. I buy the big portabella mushroom caps, flip them upside down, and use it as a 'pizza' base. I top with some veggies, maybe even a little chicken or lean meat, and a little cheese. Bake until the mushrooms wilt and cheese melts. It's absolutely delicious and mushrooms pack a ton of protein considering they're just a veggie and most veggies are high in carbs.

I also love to toss the mushroom caps in some olive oil and basalmic vinegar, bake until they wilt, and then slice. Put those with some extra veggies, maybe a little hummus, in a low-carb wrap and have as an alternative to sandwiches.

Speaking of which, I love hummus or salsa with veggies on the side for dipping, as opposed to chips or breads, as a quick snack.