Notices

Any runners out there?

Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default Any runners out there?

Hey all! I am an avid runner. Started running about 11 years ago to lose weight. Quickly learned that just running wouldn't do it.I had to watch the food too. I joined weight watchers and lost 30 pounds. Now I've gained back 15 and am focused on getting into the best shape I can by my 50th birthday in May.

Any fellow runners out there?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
FitDay Member

My sister runs. Its great for the heart, lungs and metabolism. I tried it this spring and it was going well. I am heading for 50 yo, myself soon. My coaches in high school wanted me so bad for long distance runs...I last but I get bored.

Share your 'Secret' for enjoying the run.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I just got back into running about 6 months ago. Did my first 1/2 Marathon in Nov. I find running to be the good for my weight loss, however like you I need to watch what I eat. Hang in there.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

I have tryed running, and I swear I'm like a fish out of water! lol I can't seem to breath correctly. I am thinking this really shouldn't be that hard. I wear myself out before I even get started. I usually walk run walk run....any helpful tips?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Question for experienced runners

You say you've been jogging for 11 years. Maybe you can help me?

I started jogging last fall, but my weight has increased by about nine pounds. I've read that new joggers sometimes overeat during the day as a reward for accomplishing a run completed, say, in the morning. I've also read that even experienced joggers (or marathon runners) have been guilty of a sedentary day after a lengthy workout in the morning--because they're tired. It's true that I feel hungrier after a workout, but I don't think I overeat. How should I interpret that "hungry" feeling? Is it just a change in metabolism?

What's your opinion about this?

I actually enjoy running--it puts me in a good mood. But I feel very conflicted about the weight gain. I don't eat out much and rarely touch fast food. I cook all of the meals for my family--fresh vegetables, lean meats, etc.

What am I doing wrong? How can I enjoy jogging and balance what I eat?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KRRANDOLPH03
I have tryed running, and I swear I'm like a fish out of water! lol I can't seem to breath correctly. I am thinking this really shouldn't be that hard. I wear myself out before I even get started. I usually walk run walk run....any helpful tips?
Nah this is normal. I remember when i started running i felt like someone was holding their hand over my mouth. It will decrease as you progress (unless you run harder to compensate). Its wierd because when i do my long runs 12+ i still having that feeling for the first few miles and then my breathing evens out and i can talk without even trying to gasp for air.

You can always try what most people recommend and slow down but i can tell you i never did this. I always push myself. Ya you thinking running would be easy was not really correct. Even when you progress and you push yourself its HARD. I used to weight lift a long time ago and its a lot harder than that. Don't let that discourage you though. I can tell after you progress it will be very enjoyable especially the first 1 minute after you stop (runners high). Just don't give up.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bkj0407
You say you've been jogging for 11 years. Maybe you can help me?

I started jogging last fall, but my weight has increased by about nine pounds. I've read that new joggers sometimes overeat during the day as a reward for accomplishing a run completed, say, in the morning. I've also read that even experienced joggers (or marathon runners) have been guilty of a sedentary day after a lengthy workout in the morning--because they're tired. It's true that I feel hungrier after a workout, but I don't think I overeat. How should I interpret that "hungry" feeling? Is it just a change in metabolism?

What's your opinion about this?

I actually enjoy running--it puts me in a good mood. But I feel very conflicted about the weight gain. I don't eat out much and rarely touch fast food. I cook all of the meals for my family--fresh vegetables, lean meats, etc.

What am I doing wrong? How can I enjoy jogging and balance what I eat?
Ok to answer this question. Runners at first might see some weight gain due to a couple of factors. Don't worry its not bad weight gain. First of all of those muscles that a lot of us having used for years will get bigger (yes even with running) and will start to hold a lot more water. You might see a slight weight gain because of this. Yes running definitely does make me more hungry but i keep close track of my calories (ie fitday). Yes you still have to watch what you eat. Just because you run doesn't mean you can just go and eat anything/everything that you want. I sometimes splurge on the weekend and have 1-2 slices of pizza or something similar but the rest of my diet is Fruit/Veggies/ect. With just a little bit of meat. I subscribe to the micheal pollan / in the defense of food philosophy. If your worried about your weight gain is from water gain then go get one of those fancy body fat % scales (that usually have water). Yes how accurate they are is controversial but they do give you a basis to go on and tell you whether your water % or fat % is going up. Running is definitely though a healthy past time that you will reap the benefits in years to come.

Ncage
Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Great Feedback

Originally Posted by ncage1974
Ok to answer this question. Runners at first might see some weight gain due to a couple of factors. Don't worry its not bad weight gain. First of all of those muscles that a lot of us having used for years will get bigger (yes even with running) and will start to hold a lot more water. You might see a slight weight gain because of this. Yes running definitely does make me more hungry but i keep close track of my calories (ie fitday). Yes you still have to watch what you eat. Just because you run doesn't mean you can just go and eat anything/everything that you want. I sometimes splurge on the weekend and have 1-2 slices of pizza or something similar but the rest of my diet is Fruit/Veggies/ect. With just a little bit of meat. I subscribe to the micheal pollan / in the defense of food philosophy. If your worried about your weight gain is from water gain then go get one of those fancy body fat % scales (that usually have water). Yes how accurate they are is controversial but they do give you a basis to go on and tell you whether your water % or fat % is going up. Running is definitely though a healthy past time that you will reap the benefits in years to come.

Ncage
Thanks for your perspective and feedback--very helpful. I wasn't always a healthy or active person, so it's great to have input in order to keep my bearings--and to stay fit!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I am a beginner runner...literally. Started today. Just looking for some hints on how to stay motivated and keep it going. I'm super hard on myself and just want to enjoy a helathier happier me. Thanks!

-Lizz
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

I just started the Couch to 5k running plan last week. So far so good. I am on the second week.
I find it is easier to get through it if I have upbeat music on that I can try to keep up with and not stare at the time on the clock. It's a 9 week program so hopefully by March (if things warm up here) I will be able to start running outdoors. I've never been an active person or a very healthy eater, so I'm trying really hard to be.
I live in a beautiful place that offers many areas for hiking and biking and I'd to be able to experience that rather than sit on my butt all day doing nothing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.