View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
enmuffins
FitDay Member

Question Upping Phosphates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbygyrl View Post
I started my diet a little over a month ago. Joined FitDay on the 13th. Since then I have been paying close attention to my RDI. I noticed I am always lacking enough Phosphorus and Magnesium. I already take Vitamin and Calcium Supplements daily. Are there certain foods that contain these? I dont want to end up taking MORE vitamins/mineral tablets a day.

Thanks!! =D
I would not take the numbers/percentages of phosphates given by FitDay for foods eaten to be correct. I noticed that my average RDA of phosphates was well over the 100% mark from the foods I listed. I then took each individual food I had listed and checked my % of the RDA for that food - on the FitDay list. When I added ALL the foods eaten with their % of phosphate it came to a much smaller %. Since my goal is to REDUCE the amounts of Phosphates - I'm 83 years old and am monitoring my kidney function and high phosphates are a No-No this checking by me meant that I was no longer alarmed at my phosphate intake.
I don't know how the other nutrients stack up but I'm quite upset that I now have to resort to other means of quantifying my phosphates and possibly other nutrients.
I cant understand WHY one would want to increase phosphates especially if one is old and where kidney function decreases by small amounts year by year.
enmuffins is offline   Reply With Quote