Notices

Soup recipes?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
FitDay Member

Default Soup recipes?

Does anyone have any good soup recipes that are easy to make? I'm just tired of salads right now, and i love to have a nice pot of soup going.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
FitDay Member

Default Mulligatawny soup

Here's my favourite mulligatawny soup recipe:
1) Saute in a little oil 4 cloves garlic, 1 large onion (chopped)
2) Add 2 stalks celery (chopped), 1 tart apple, (peeled/chopped) 1 large carrot, (peeled/chopped), ½ red pepper (chopped), 200 ml chicken stock, 2 (or 1 if less carbs desired) potatoes, (peeled/diced), 5 tomatoes (peeled/chopped), ½ tbsp curry powder (level), 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp allspice, ½ tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp salt, and enuf water to cover veg.
3) Boil till veg is tender.
4) Add 1 chicken breast (boneless) and boil till chicken is cooked
5) Remove chicken and cut/peel into strips
6) When soup is sufficiently cooled, puree.
7) Return chicken strips to soup, heat and enjoy.

Recipe serves 6
It's packed with loads of veggie tastiness
Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 PM
FitDay Member

I make soup all the time here, but for me it's more of a technique than a recipe, and generally speaking I make it in the crock pot. Here are a couple of my faves:

Chili
1 pound ground meat (either beef or turkey)
1 large onion peeled and diced
1 large pepper diced
1 quart canned tomatoes (which is about 2 of the 20 oz cans)
1-3 Tbls chili powder (to taste)
1-2 cans beans (light red, dark red or black - chef's choice) drained.

Brown the meat, then dump it into the crock pot, saute onions and peppers in the same pan (you don't need to add any grease or spray - usually) until clear about 5-8 minutes. Then dump everything into the crock pot, give it a stir and walk away, 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. For a thicker chili add in 1-2 cans of tomato paste. For a much hotter chili add in 1-3 diced jalapeno peppers.

Chicken Stew
1-2 large chicken breasts
1 large onion
3-4 cups frozen veggies (corn, peas, green beans, carrots, lima beans, potatoes etc etc)
5-6 bullion cubes (either veggie or chicken)
4-6 cups water
1-2 tsp thyme
1-2 tsp sage
salt & pepper to taste.

The chicken can be frozen, grilled, browned, poached, leftover, whatever, it doesn't really matter although I don't know that I would recommend bar-b-qued. Anyway dice the chicken, saute the onions in a tiny bit of olive oil on the stove top until clear (about 5-8 minutes). Then toss everything in the crock pot and walk away, 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Stir every now and then when you think of it. You can also add in noodles during the last 10-15 minutes if you want.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
FitDay Member

I love soups and do enjoy a nice creamy soup on occasion. I lighten up my cream soups by basically making a veggie soup with broth, then mixing in some light or fat free cream. You can let it cook down to thicken, or thicken faster with a little cornstarch and water. I do this with cream of mushroom or broccoli, among others. I love this website: Healthy Recipes and Recipe Calculator From SparkRecipes.com for all kinds of recipies because it includes nutrition info.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

Here are a few I like to make: Soups Buttoni's Blog
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

[deleted]

Last edited by Angelstation; 10-07-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

I use "Myrecipes.com" a LOT and have several soup recipes from them I turn too. If you search them they are:

Beef and Bok Choy Hot Pot (so good. I use extra beef broth to give it more richness and less water. And I serve with brown rice instead of noodles -- makes it easier to eat with the bok choy. If you do that, you have to re-enter the recipe in fitday and make it a custom food because the nutrition info they give includes noodles)

Mexican Chicken and Chayote -- I make this exactly to the recipe except I cut the chick breast into bite size pieces. My Southern Father who likes very traditional Southern Cooking SUCKS THIS DOWN LIKE NOTHING I'VE EVER SEEN.

(NEW) Peasant Stew -- I was looking for slow cooker recipes and found this. I do it a bit differntly. I use chick breasts instead of thighs. I use the spicy Rotel (I like the heat), I add three garlic cloves smashed and I put ALL of it in the slow cooker on low for eight hours (overnight or all day) and the chicken breast shreds and it becomes this gorgeous chicken chili. ALl you have to do is cut the onions, smash the garlic and open cans -- so this is super easy!!!!

Carrot Soup (the cooking light recipe) -- this is special occasion "appetizer" soup I use for dinner parties that NO ONE KNOWS is healthy and low-fat. It is so good I have a hard time not hiding it from everyone else and just eating it myself. Instead of creme fraiche, I use greek yogurt. I put the GY in a bottle and drizzle it across the bowl in swirls before serving and it is SOOOOOOO pretty. THen I sprinkle chopped chives on it. Can't say enough good things about cooking something that feels so gourmet -- and is so easy and healthy!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

I do a 21 day de-tox every 4 months where I eat no wheat, no dairy & no sugar - so here's my vegetable soup recipe I LOVE!! And just so you know, I'm a foodie....I love good food and this soup is amazing.

1 med onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 cloves garlics, minced
2 carrots, cut into coins
1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 8 oz pkg, sliced mushrooms
1/2 head of cabbage shredded
1 14 oz can tomatoes
2 - 32 oz boxes of chicken or vegetable stock
2 TBLS dried herbs - like an Italian blend - (oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley)

Saute onion in olive oil over med - high heat in large stock pot, until soft. Add carrot, celery and continue to saute another 2 min. Add cauliflower, tomatoes, stock and dried herbs and cook for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms & cabbage, bring to boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all veggies are tender. (I change the veggies to meet the season as I'm a local organic produce supporter - so feel free to add in broccoli, zucchini, peas, etc). Good luck with your diet!

For more of my recipes that involve no wheat, dairy or sugar - check out my blog at www.feelbetterlookyoungerstayhealthy.com

Last edited by kthyme; 09-25-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
FitDay Member

thanks for sharing your soup recipes..
definitely going to try it all..
Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

How about any good beefy stew ideas? I don't necessarily have to have beef, but I am craving grandma's thick beef stew with potatos and veggies. It's cold and getting dark early, and I am craving a bowl of thick dark stew goodness - without the bajillion calories to go with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.