Notices

need good dinner ideas

Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default need good dinner ideas

What are some of your favorite healthy dinners? I'm looking for ideas because frankly my downfall of the day is dinner. I'm a sucker for rolls/bread and really need to cut out carbs.

I hate seafood, so I won't be making any fish.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

Fake fried chicken (or pork chops)

Crush some corn flakes, add garlic or seasoned pepper or whatever you like. Take some chicken breasts or lean pork chops, dip the meat in flour, then egg (one scrambled), then the seasoned corn flakes. Place on a cookie sheet generously sprayed with cooking spray, and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Comes out nice and crispy.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

I do low-carb. These are some recipe sites you might find helpful in breaking any food boredom.

Buttoni's Blog (my site)
Living Atkins Everyday
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home (* means Atkins Induction friendly recipe)
Atkins Recipes - Course
Low Carb Luxury: Recipes
Main Index - LowCarbFriends Recipes
Our_Atkins_Recipes : Messages : 484-513 of 513
Healthy Indulgences

Last edited by Buttoni; 09-19-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Here are my favorite low-cal, healthy, fam friendly meals:

chili
chicken veggy stew
beef stew
smothered steak soup (French onion soup with steak tips and mushrooms)
chicken stir fry
broccoli beef stir fry
taco salad (everybody else gets tacos, I skip the shells and make mine salad)
grilled chicken
kabobs
omelets
tuna melts
steak & eggs
shepherd's pie (with sweet potatoes on top)
bruschetta
pork tenderloin with coleslaw and stewed apples.

Well I gotta go, apparently WWIII has started in my kitchen....
Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much for these recipes! They all sound so delicious!!! I'm not very creative in thinking of new meals so I appreciate your ideas! Keep them coming!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

I've heard that Rachel Ray has a new low-cal cookbook that's getting rave reviews. I don't have it yet, but I love my copy of "365 No Repeats" and a lot of the recipes can be made lower cal by using reduced fat cheese or fat free sour cream, sweet potatoes instead of potatoes etc. etc. I love bread too, so to keep on track I allow 2 servings of whole grain, low-cal grained based carbs per day (to abstain completely would be to set myself up for a hard binge later). So I get 35 calorie/slice whole wheat toast at breakfast and a 100 calorie whole grain slim bun with either lunch or dinner. Another good bread-like option is a quesadilla made with low-cal whole wheat tortillas and reduced fat cheese, just the perfect thing to dip in turkey chili, believe me. The fake fried chicken (or pork chops) in lizzycritters post is very similar to an RR recipe called "Honey Nut Chicken Sticks", these are great hot or cold and almost the perfect thing leftover and diced up on salad.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:40 PM
FitDay Member

I think a fun way to break it up is by stuffing things...peppers, cabbage, mushrooms, etc. One easy one that can be made a hundred ways is stuffed zuchini boats. You can make mexican flavor by stuffing with taco meat, or greek by adding some ground olives and red onions to lamb or beef, italian with ground beef and marinara sauce, etc.

Cut the zuchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh to make the boat. Chop and sautee the flesh with garlic, meat, and other seasonings. Stuff back into the boats and bake. Maybe sprinkle a little grated cheese on top!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
FitDay Member

Stir fry is one of my favorite go to meals. Just buy one of those stir fried vegetable bags found in the frozen food isle, get yourself chicken, pork or steak and slice into bite size cubes. Spray a non stick pan with Pam, or use a tablespoon of olive oil, throw in some chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic (Whatever you have on hand works!), and low sodium soy sauce to the pan, then cook the meat to your liking and toss with the bagged veggies. Some people put rice in with it when they make it, but because of measuring carbs, I usually cook brown rice on the side.

A yummy and healthy dessert for after your meal....

Peel and core an apple per person you need to serve. Spray the apple with I can't believe its not butter inside and out. In a small dish measure out 2-3 tablespoons of low fat granola per serving, add some sugar free vanilla flavoring and toss, then stuff the apples with the granola. Place the apples on a backing dish and sprinkle with splenda and cinnamon. Bake in the oven at 375 until the apples are tender. I usually serve mine with nonfat plain yogurt and then drizzled with sugar free maple syrup! It's devine and good for you too!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Pasta Arrabbiata or "Angry Pasta"

In a pan with some olive oil, add diced garlic & jalapeno pepper. Cook until garlic pieces brown & take off the stove eye to cool a bit. Take a can of whole tomatoes, drain the juice out, and crush the tomatoes with your hand into the pan with the garlic & jalapenos. Turn the stove eye back on & simmer. Top some cooked penne pasta with this, garnish with some fresh parsley and shredded parmesan & enjoy! Lowfat, healthy & delicious! WARNING: this recipe is spicy!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
FitDay Member

you can try the recipes in this sites:
Low Carb Diet Recipes collection - Taste.com.au
Simply Recipes: Low Carb Recipes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.